AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed pretty quickly that my ECP needs awhile to warm up before the convergence remains steady. At first I would turn it on and leave it on standby for an hour or so but it always drifted once I started a movie.

Then I made a saved memory with low contrast and brightness which was better, but it still drifted once I started watching a movie at regular contrast and brightness.

So, what I need to do is warm it up with higher contrast and brightness but I'm afriad the DVD player's (Skyworth) screen saver leaves much to be desired. Are there any DVDs out there that can be used as a screen saver? Thanks...

Cary

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I'd say your best (and cheapest) solution is to simply use a DVD you already have that completely fills the screen.

As long as it fills the entire screen and isn't too dark, pretty much any disc will do. If your screen's 16x9, a popular choice would be something like Toy Story 1/2.

Just don't leave it for hours on end as the disc will finish playing and revert back to the main (possibly static) menu. You can always use the A/B repeat found on most players and loop a few chapters endlessly.

Personally, I use an HTPC so I have a whole slew of hi resolution (1500x1000 pixel) images from www.photo.net that I cycle every few seconds. Automatically kicks in if the HTPC's been idle for more then 2 minutes.

Kal

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kal! Yep, HTPC is definitely the way to go here and I'll get there eventually. Since I've got a 7" CRT the progressive scan DVD player is really all I need right now (but I'd love to bump up the rez a bit and see how it looks).

Toy Story is a great suggestion. I was worried that some DVDs may not be particularly that "even" as far as images go but I think TS is probably fairly evenly lit all of the time.

Cary

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Berry
Ya, the screen saver. Dosen't the screen saver keep wanting to come on when you are using an overlay?
Nope. Software DVD players are smart enough to realize that they need to disable all screensavers when a dvd is playing.

Kal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.