Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Move the furniture a bit and bring my existing 100"

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this dilemma, I think my current diy 100" screen seems a bit too big for my current place. I had a dedicated projector room at my old place and it fit great there, new place, well, not so much.

First, some pictures:

Now, with the current way the furniture is layout out, on the main wall I got my desk, little computer stool (temporarily holding xbox and cable box), left speaker, media console, right speaker.

Subwoofer is between the wall and the couch, and I got a 4 ft space between the couch and the kitchen area.

Space between the speakers is 80 inches which would give me a 84" viewable screen.

To use my existing 100" screen (94" width) from my previous place, the little computer stool would have to go, moving the left speaker besides the desk. The media console would be centered and I could move my subwoofer up front between left speaker and media console. Thing is I'd have to move the couch closer to the kitchen area to center it with the screen which would reduce the 4ft walking space to 2-3ft.

In both cases viewing distance can be adjusted with no problem as I have alot of space in front/back of the couch.

So ladies and gentlemen, should I keep the current layout and build a smaller 84" screen or rearrange stuff to accommodate my 100" existing one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would definitely say re-arrange to fit the 100" screen. I mean if we were talking about moving walls and such I would say stick with the 84" but, you are basically talking about moving the little table and the couch. I think with the minimal effort you will be much happier in the long run with 16 more inches of screen space.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedubbadoo /forum/post/15462128

i would definitely say re-arrange to fit the 100" screen. I mean if we were talking about moving walls and such i would say stick with the 84" but, you are basically talking about moving the little table and the couch. I think with the minimal effort you will be much happier in the long run with 16 more inches of screen space.

+1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:

I would definitely say re-arrange to fit the 100" screen.

My other place was 1200 sq ft. This one is 600 sq ft.

The reason I'm hesitating to expand the furniture sideways is that I'll eat up my living space.

What you see on those pictures is basically the place. Livingroom / Dining room combo, kitchenette area where the arch is and my bedroom on the left of the computer desk.

Proportionally to the space I have, I think 100" seems too big.

Quote:

I mean if we were talking about moving walls and such I would say stick with the 84" but, you are basically talking about moving the little table and the couch. I think with the minimal effort you will...

Takes more effort to build another screen then to move a couch

·
Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekO /forum/post/15464731

My other place was 1200 sq ft. This one is 600 sq ft.

The reason I'm hesitating to expand the furniture sideways is that I'll eat up my living space.

What you see on those pictures is basically the place. Livingroom / Dining room combo, kitchenette area where the arch is and my bedroom on the left of the computer desk.

Proportionally to the space I have, I think 100" seems too big.

Takes more effort to build another screen then to move a couch

I am confused, I was saying that with the minimal effort of moving the table and the couch, you would enjoy the extra 16" of screen. I didn't get from your pictures that, that was your entire space, minus the bedroom. I saw the stairs in the background and just assumed that this was a basement. That being said, a 100" screen might dominate your space, then again having already had a 100" screen and downsizing to an 84" might bother you. It all comes down to aesthetics and personal preference, without being in your space it is hard to say. Maybe it is time for a little painter's tape masking on the wall. If the couch feels to close to the counter then I would say that is definitely a deal breaker, maybe compromise and go with a 92"?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My vote would be to keep the larger screen.

1) You already have it. Minimal effort there.

2) Don't move the couch more than maybe 6-12". This keeps plenty of walking space. Besides, with a 100" screen and that speaker array, the sweet spot should be larger than the 2 ft that your but takes up on one end of the couch. If it isn't, I would hate to try and watch a movie with a date, or even some buddies.

3) +1 on the bigger is better

4) Put the computer just inside the left speaker, while the 360 and STB go on the center speaker stand.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
21 votes for 100" screen

0 votes for 84" screen

I guess AVS knows best heh

I'll hang the bigger one then. Just need to wait for my cables delivery so I can put the cable box and xbox further away from my computer screen. Will update with a picture once it's done

1 - 9 of 9 Posts