Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the move to a new house...

The home cinema room in the new house will be 26'2" x 13'6".

Right now I have Barco Data 808s with 1200 hours fed by a Quadscan and a Tag McLaren DVD32R/AV32R. I'm using a 79" 16:9 screen.

Should I change my screen when I move to the new room? I'll be using the 13'6" wall for the screen.

Should I go bigger and if so how big?

I'd like to stay with a gain of around 1.3 unless anybody can persuade me otherwise.

Thanks,

Leon

PS. I'll be upgrading to the DVD192R/AV192R de-interlacer/scaler when it's available ... in case it makes a difference.

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
I think you could easily go bigger in that room. Your present screen will take up less than half the front wall. I'm not sure of the kind of light output that PJ has however. I think a 92" or 96" wide screen would easily do well in that space . Yes it would dominate the front wall but that's the idea in a dedicated HT room. The length of the room could easily aliow two or even three rows of seating as well. To each his own but I'm using a 1.8 gain screen and I really like it. You might want to put the thought into you design equation.

Art:)

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Make sure you consider in your viewing distance too. This is very important for image quality and should not be overlooked. You could have a 40' long room, but if you are only going to be sitting 13' away from the screen, you shouldn't go with a 10' wide screen. Just something else to think about...

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
I have a 26' x16' room and use three rows of seats. My screen is approximately 9' wide and my front row (which I use most) is only about 10 feet from the screen. Good scaled DVD or HD looks great even from this distance . The added effect of being more immersed in the presentation is one reason to have such a system IMHO.

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
My room is 17' 2" X 30' long.

I have a 123" WIDE microperf going in at 2.35 aspect.

Three rows of seating (Cineloungers - 12).

Given the size of the seats, the front row may be a bit close (13 ft.).

(I obviously have given up my Runco CRt for this guilty pleasure of size - check the classifieds).

Jeff

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hi Kenny,

I wouldn't go "big" just for the sake of going big, but I have a Barco BG808s going onto a 96" wide (by 54" high) screen, and it seems fine. I'm not pushing the contrast at all, and I'm still getting an image that is plenty bright. I do have total light control however.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Leon,

I have a 1208 with a 1.3 gain 119" diagonal 16:9 screen. I love the picture but this is definately IMO the upper size limit for my PJ. I beleive that the 800 series may have a little less output so Jim's advice is very sound.

Size does make a difference in the HT. My seating postion is ~1.5 x diagonal width.

Dave

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
Leon,

I think the advice for how big based on the what the PJ output is is the most cogent. This could be the real show stopper. Not enough light. After that I think it just has to be how big a screen that will look good. The resolution of good DVD or HD will make a 90" plus screen reasonable but that PJ may not have enough light output. I don't think, however, that this is too big for that room itself by any means.

Jeff,

It sounds like you've got your dream HT ,congrats! With that size screen you should be putting some pressure on the local multiplex! Enjoy!

·
Registered
27,358 Posts
Art,

As long as the economy doesn't stop caries, I'll be one happy camper in a year!

Hope all is well.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.