AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I have the following question. What size screens are people using and how far are you sitting from the screen. Do you see the pixelization at that distance?"

Well Radar, I'm using an 80x60 high gain model B Da-Lite screen, in conjuction with a Crystalimage Scaler.

I sit about 12-13ft from the screen. The DVD picture, using a Panny RV31 interlaced player is really quite clear, and with the enhanced black mode on the DVD player, the blacks are, well...black!

No pixelization or jaggies that I can see.

I had 8 guys over this weekend to watch the Trinidad/Hopkins PPV fight on Satellite, and their reaction to the quality of the the picture, as well as the size was.. "This is GREAT!!"

The Sat pic is not quite as clear as the DVD pic I get, but I've noticed that PPV channels don't seem to have as much compression artifacts as does HBO, Starz, Showtime..etc.!

I also, by chance, watched Gladiator this weekend, and I can attest to seeing none of the problems you described.

My thought is that, your DVD players deinterlacing chip is not so great, since you saw the same problem with both units.

If I really pay attention to the fine details of the picture, (via info I've learned from others on this forum) I can just about make out screendoor, and might even see a rainbow from where I sit , and that is only when there is a bright scene, a fireball, or lit candle.

I've not noticed any jaggies or pixels that, make my viewing enjoyment any less pleasant.

There are many on this forum who use an HTPC, or as I, a Scaler.

I guess, we feel that either of these video enhancers make the PQ better, at least enough to justify the added expense.

Maybe you could test an HTPC or Scaler with either pj, and see if your eyes notice a difference.

HTH, VB

[This message has been edited by 3.1415926 pi (edited 10-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 3.1415926 pi (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
3.1415926 pi, what type of projector are you using?

Ray

------------------

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
891 Posts
I sit 8-10' back from my 102" wide screen, driven by a JVC G15 (D-ILA) and a HTPC (ATI Player), and I see no pixelization at all.

On certain DVDs that with poor transfers, some aliasing or posterization is noticable, but on a good transfer, it's really pretty flawless. I have yet to see a single flaw anywhere in Toy Story 2.

Before I assembled my HTPC, I was using s-video from a standalone DVD player, and jaggies were pretty noticable. Are you actually seeing jaggies because of the pixel resolution of your projector, or from the scaling of the DVD itself?

(edit because I forgot to mention my screen size)

[This message has been edited by Chris Carollo (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DUH!!! Radar, you'd think that after I edited my post, I would have included that info!!

I'm using the LT 150. This puppy rocks my world.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
150 Posts
This past weekend I had the opportunity to rent both the NEC LT150 and VT540. I'll be posting my review and opinion later.

For now I have to make a comment concerning both units.

My source was a JVC XV-S60BK (their new progressive scan) connected via Component input running in progressive scan mode).

My screen was a temporary hung cloth (very white with little texture or pattern). It was approximately 80" across. My viewing distance was between 12 and 14 feet (I kept moving my chair back and forth)

The problem I had was when I viewed both units I could see jaggies caused by pixels. I was particularly noticeable on the following:

Diagonal lines (either white against dark or dark lines against white background).

Dark horizons against light sky (Gladiator).

Small light portholes against dark surface (Lost in Space).

When I reduced the image to about 55" to 60" horizontal, the image was much improved and very impressive. Again viewing distance was 12 to 14'.

At first I thought it might have been the internal scaling of the units, but when I viewed the problem areas of the scenes up close I could see the definite pixels.

I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to use one of these projectors with an 80" x 60" screen in my theater with seating 12 to 14" back.

I tried to watch a DVD to see if I would subconsciously block out the jaggies caused by pixelization, however, I found them too distracting.

I have the following question. What size screens are people using and how far are you sitting from the screen. Do you see the pixelization at that distance?

My experience is making me think of trying the new 16:9 projectors for my application. I'm wondering if the greater number of pixels will improve the image. However, with only 480 lines from DVD, maybe that is the weakest link?

Ray

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 10-01-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.