AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at making my first projector purchase, but I still have some basic questions.

How large of a screen should I have? I really want a big screen so I would like at least 120 inches diagonal. Does this mean I would have to sit really far back for adequate image quality. I would prefer to sit about 12 feet back for this size of a screen, is that too close?

What ratio of screen should I select. Since I will be running a HTPC with powerstrip I can run it at either 1024x576 (widescreen) or 1024x768(fullscreen). Would it be better for me to get a 4:3 ratio screen because that is the projectors native ratio or would it be ok to continually run the projector at 1024x576?

It is my understanding that when u watch a DLP in widescreen mode that the black bars aren't even projecting light at all. Is this true.

Does anybody have a custom resolution setup for every single aspect ratio of movie? ie for 1.85:1, 2.35:1 etc etc?

Aaron

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You will definitely see the bars in the black areas in a dark room. Blacks are not black, but contrast makes black portions of an image appear black enough. 120" diag. for a 4:3 screen is way too big for your viewing distance. I would suggest a 100 inch screen. Trust me, bigger is not better. I have a fixed room with an LT150 so I have no choice but to use a 100 inch screen and it's a tad big, but I can see the pixels unless I defocus a bit(highly recommended). Last night I had a full house so I sat in chair behind my couch(usual seating) and I was amazed ant how much better the picture looked and how much easier on the eyes it was just 2 feet farther. Trust me, for 12' away, 100 inch is plenty big.

------------------

----------

My system - Please don't laugh!

Kenwood KR-V990D Receiver

Toshiba SD-2107 DVD Player

Pioneer CLD-D606 Laserdisc Player

Sony SLV-778HF HiFi VCR

Sony 35" Trinitron TV

Acoustic Research TSW-510 Main speakers

Infinity Center speaker

Boston Acoustics Rear in-wall speakers

Denon 8" subwoofer

Sharp QA-1650 VGA projection panel

3M 9550 4000 lumen overhead projector

Dalite 100" model B matte white

(And yes, the picture is very watchable for $500)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've run my XGA projector at 110" and was sitting mabye ten feet back and it still looked good, BUT I was running it off of an HTPC which helps a lot.

If your going to be running it straight fromm your DVD player without any scaling before the projector then yes a smaller screen would probably be wise as the artifacts introduced by the projector when it scales the image itself would tend to soften the picture. Thus requireing you to either sit farther back or shrink the screen.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm sitting 12'-13' from my 60"x80', Da-lite High Gain screen, and I'm using a CI Scaler.

This distance is just right for me, and when viewing a 16x9 DVD film. The picture is great using the DIY masking system I've set up.

With a 4:3 image, I find my eyes have to dart around the screen a little, but the exprience is wonderful none the less.

A 120"diagonal a that distance might be a little over powering.

If your seating distance is fixed, you'd probably be better off with a 100'(60x80) screen.

Trust those of us who use them.

You will be impressed!!

HTH, VB

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The room is currently set up that I am sitting about 12 feet from the TV, however this can change.

The room is 35feet long by 16 feet wide with 10feet ceilings.

I would probably be able to sit as far back as 16 feet. I don't wanna sit too far back from the speakers and sub because I like that "you are there" feeling and sound.

Aaron

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would say this depends on how big your room is and what yuor source is. I am using a 120" 4:3 Dalite Da-snap/hipower.

I am driving from an HTPC and also wanted the option to hook up an X-Box and display 4:3. Some PC games are available widescreen but most aren't. If you don't need PC resolution, get a 16x9. The irony of games this big is they make me sick to play them at this size, so I don't.

In retrospect I probably should have bought a 16x9, since I have black bars top and bottom of everything I watch except pan/scan material or full-screen Dscaler.

Also, there are resolution fixes that convert the output of your PC into 16x9 anyway- I didn't know you could do this when I bought my screen. I sometimes watch Dscaler using this "fake" res for a better picture.

I sit about 12 feet back and the width is PERFECT for DVD movies. It is too close for any lower res source. If I had HDTV it would be a different story- as full screen 4:3 television has awesome impact, it's just the res from my satellite feed is too low and it looks artifacty.

I figured I would mask the screen top and bottom for movies, and I still want to. But you might save yourself the trouble.

Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.