AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was excited to make some progress, but...

Plan was to get the room trimmed out at that point I was gonna order carpet and chairs. Then work on painting. The room will be painted bellow the chair rail. Fabric acoustic panels will cover most of the upper walls. Fabric panels will surround screen, trim will terminate against the fabric panels.

I have been thinking I want a bigger screen then I originally planned for. My room has major width limitations at only 10.8 ft wide. So I decided I would go 16x9 to get the biggest screen I could fit. I figured I could wait until chairs and the projector were in the room before making final screen choice. Trouble is I need to commit to the trim. There is a huge difference between screen heights when changing to 1.78 AR from 2.35 AR.

Either way if I go 120" wide with a Seymour precision frame at 2.6 inches I am left with 2.35 inches wall to screen frame, then only the 2.6 inch frame to the screen. Is that too close to the walls either way?

If I go 1.78 AR the screen frame will be only 7.35 inches above the 13 inch stage, not the 23.8 inches pictured. This will leave semigloss painted trim inches from screen at the lower portion. I am thinking of stopping the chair rail short of the first acoustic panel and make that acoustic panel more or less floor to ceiling. The chair rail would terminate on the sidewall panels instead of the front false wall panels. Would this look very odd? Would this be effective in reducing glare? Could I still place the vent in the panel? Any other ideas?

My drawings were only estimations of desired chairs, fusion tributes, my screen is about 10 feet to first row eyes, 13 inch stage and riser.
82.5 inches from stage to soffit. Do heads typically rest much higher than chair backs. Seating is 2 in front 3 in back. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Should I give up on the larger screen?

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got a little more narrowed in.

Let’s say I stick with 120 wide screen.

The screen material will then be 5 inches away from the wall.

As planned the chair rail will run right up to the fabric front of the screen wall. Chair rail and bellow will be semigloss black or dark grey.

A 16:9 is my desire screen size if sight lines allow, would be 10 inches off the bottom of stage or 15.5 inches bellow the chair rail, only 5 inches away.

2.35 screen would be about a inch above the chair rail.

I know there will be things about the room I will get wrong just want to avoid as many regrets as possible.

How bothersome do you think the glare will be? Will I have a similar glare problem even with the smaller screen?

Would putting fabric on the first 18 inches of side wall help much, is it worth the compromise in aesthetics?

Anyway to get a better estimation of if my sight lines will be ok without owning the chairs yet? (Fusion tributes)

Just about ready (like today) to trim out this room and build the screen wall so any help I can get would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Got a little more narrowed in.

Let’s say I stick with 120 wide screen.

The screen material will then be 5 inches away from the wall.

As planned the chair rail will run right up to the fabric front of the screen wall. Chair rail and bellow will be semigloss black or dark grey.

A 16:9 is my desire screen size if sight lines allow, would be 10 inches off the bottom of stage or 15.5 inches bellow the chair rail, only 5 inches away.

2.35 screen would be about a inch above the chair rail.

I know there will be things about the room I will get wrong just want to avoid as many regrets as possible.

How bothersome do you think the glare will be? Will I have a similar glare problem even with the smaller screen?

Would putting fabric on the first 18 inches of side wall help much, is it worth the compromise in aesthetics?

Anyway to get a better estimation of if my sight lines will be ok without owning the chairs yet? (Fusion tributes)

Just about ready (like today) to trim out this room and build the screen wall so any help I can get would be much appreciated.
I did fabric back 20" and it works well, having said that I understand the concern over aesthetics but you will get glare off off trim whether or not its bothersome for you only you can answer. I will add that the sub sitting on the right has never caused distracting glare for me. FWIW the room is 14'4" wide and the screen is 9' wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[

I did fabric back 20" and it works well, having said that I understand the concern over aesthetics but you will get glare off off trim whether or not its bothersome for you only you can answer. I will add that the sub sitting on the right has never caused distracting glare for me. FWIW the room is 14'4" wide and the screen is 9' wide.

I appreciate the help, your room looks great, I’m glad you mentioned the sub, that definitely applies to my scenario.

I think I’m gonna just stick to the plan and see how I like it. If it drives me crazy I can test the fabric idea and possibly rework that part of the room.

Started on the screen wall today

Thanks again

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts