AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy turkey day everyone! I thought I'd post this question before everyone ate and settled down to watch football this afternoon.

I'm constructing a home theatre in my remodeled basement and will probably be using a 808, or 808s proj. The ceiling height will only be 7'. I also will be making my own screen, probably a painted sheetrock wall with matte's around it. My question is-should I shoot for the maximum screen size I could possibly use, around 66"x118" (16x9 format) allowing for mattes on the top and bottom and room for a center speaker below the screen, or should I go for something smaller? Light control should be no problem. Three questions really.

1. With this size of screen, mounted so close to the floor (screen edge 10-12" off of floor) would there be any problem aligning the projector (ceiling mount).

2. Would brightness or resolution be an issue. I'd be using a HTPC as a video source (DVD only).

3. Would there be any shortening of the CRT's lives driving this size screen compared to a smaller one-say 54"x96"?

Thanks in advance, and enjoy that turkey!!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have an 808s on a 54x96" Stewart Studiotek 130 screen. I don't think I would want to go any larger. It's bright enough, but I wouldn't want to give any of it up to get a bigger screen. There is very little material that actually can stand to be blown up much larger than that.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I also have an 808s and am using a StudioTek 130.

Size is 87"x49". I find this size more or less dead on. I think you will loose a lot of snap from the image if you go too big.

Also, with a ceiling height of only 7ft to large a screen will mean positioning your centre speaker much to low.

Eric

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

After downloading the Barco Lens Program it said I had a negative ceiling height of 7.5". This means I either have to raise the pj 7.5"(through the ceiling) or lower the screen the same amount. Correct? If I lower my screen 8" from the ceiling it looks as if a 54x96 would be about as big as I can go. Figuring in the 8" plus 54" would leave the top of my center speaker about 20-22" off the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.