AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THX specs for viewing distances are great for movies, but I wonder how well they hold up for gaming where you need to be able to focus on the entire screen at the same time (overwhelming size can put you at a disadvantage), and for general TV, where overwhelming screens can get annoying. Does anyone else agree? If so, what would you say the ideal screen size is for gaming and general TV when sitting 9-10 feet away from the set?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you play online FPSs?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass /forum/post/19583892

Yes, FPS on PC and racing + Madden on PS3. All on the plasmas.

You were supposed to say, "Save your money. 50 inches is perfect for gaming." That, or you don't play FPSs....

The pn50c7000 was delivered today. Now to decide if I should return it, wait a month or two, and order the 58 inch version of the same TV.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Haha, sorry to disappoint. Much of the oft repeated knowledge regarding TVs "too big for gaming" is simply false:

A standard desktop gaming setup will place a 21-24" monitor approximately 24" from your eyes.

Viewed from ten feet, a TV would have to be about 108" to fill the same amount of your vision as the 21" monitor does from 24" away.

Conversely, a 50" monitor from 10' is like gaming with a 9" monitor on your desk.

Too bad Panasonics' 100 incher costs in excess of $75k.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm starting to think I'm going to keep the 50 inch. I'm not able to keep the edges of the TV in focus from where I sit as it is, and in a few years, I can get another wow factor by upgrading to a 65 or so inch screen. Maybe in time I will be able to keep both the edges of the screen in focus, but I'm not sure the increase in size is worth the costs for me (and the difference in price will go a long way towards a new PC).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.