AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a HT in the basement using a LT150, my seating will be about 13-14 foot back, what do you all thing would be the largest screen size I should get at that range?

PS I'm looking at a 4:3 dalite pulldown

Bill

·
Registered
556 Posts
My Da-Lite 80X60 is huge at 11 foot viewing distance. For your distance this screen or the next size up (92X69) would be fine IMHO.

Petey

·
Registered
310 Posts
Go to www.projectorcentral.com, they have a throw distance calculator. You can put the model of the projector in, the distance from the screen you want, and it'll calculate out the size of the screen. You can also put the size of the screen in, and it'll tell you the distance the projector needs to be from the screen. Since the LT150 has no zoom you'll have to be pretty precise.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I thought the rule of thumb was 2x Screen height, for FPTV.

In which case, 2x = (14*12) or 84" in height.

So the corresponding width would be 4/3H or 112"

This would give a most impressive diagonal of 140"

It will also be relatively expensive.

If my memory of the ratio is incorrect, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Regards,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wanting to go with the 69x92 but I was afraid that the picture may show screen door or more rainbow at this range.

Would that be the case?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would say to check the calculator first, see what ranges you can work with (the LT150 has a short throw distance so you should be all set with 13-14 feet), then look at the standard screen sizes in that range. Take some measurements, and see what you think will work. I bought my 80x60 model B without really realizing just how BIG the thing actually is. You might also use the suggestion posted above of sitting 2x the screen height (or is it width?) away, but that's a rough measurement and also depends on the technology your using (some like to sit further away with LCD's, for example). I sit about 12 feet from my 80x60 (with an LP340 projector), and I can't see any pixel structure. It also depends on how immersive you want the experience to be, but I doubt you'll want to "look around" to see the whole picture... sore necks :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
As far as size for viewing enjoyment goes it is deffinately personal preference. Some like the image distance to image width ratio to be from 1.4 - 2.0. I am currently very happy with 1.44:1. Which in my example is 12.5 feet back from a 104"x58" screen. I would try different distances at a local theater to see what you like. After the show you can step off the distances to get an approximation, etc. I started with a 1.63:1 but moved to the 1.44 and am much happier. For you I would GUESS that you might like the 104" width (plus or minus a size).

Considering the light output of the LT150 and the probable size you are going with I would say go with the Da-lite High Power screen. I am also happy with this screen coupled with my NEC LT100. If you go with a lower gain screen the image might end up too dark.

My 0.02

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On that screen calculator, I thought that the distance to screen field is ment to show you how far back the projector must be to shoot a given size. Not the recommended viewings distance for a screen size.

Am I wrong??

Bill

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
I thought the rule of thumb was 2x Screen height, for FPTV.
I always thought that rule of thumb applied to the width, not the height, so the 92 x 69 would be reasonable. Some would perfer the 80 x 60, but I like the larger screen. Since you are in a basement, I assume you have total light control, so the LT150 shold be bright enough for that. Also, since it is a DLP, screen door will not be an issue with going to a larger screen. With an LCD you would have to be more cautious.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The rules of thumb that I have seen have applied to width (e.g. 2.0:1 to 1.5:1).

There is some desire to base your distance on height though. Some people have the luxury of a constant height setup where the height is constant for images aspect ratios from 4:3 to 2.35:1. Typically 4:3 material is of lower quality (except for IMAX) and more zoomed in on the subject. Thus for a constant height system the subject (a person for example) might be of the same approximate size going from 4:3 (pan and scan) to 16:9 widescreen version of the same movie, but you will just add content on the sides, etc.

I can tell you that for me a 104" wide screen is not too big from 12.5 feet.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You're both right in that there are rules/guidelines to follow for both wdth and height.

The guideline for width is based upon the limitations with one's field of view.

The guideline for height is/was based upon how visible the scanlines in a picture would be. This guideline was more commonly used back when most folks did not have access to line-doubling (or computer-based) hardware.

As if that wasn't enough, for LCD and DLP projectors, there are also guidelines designed around minimizing visible screendoor. The guidelines are more liberal for DLP's than for LCD's as screendoor is more of an issue with LCD's.

I don't recall the specific numbers for all of these things off of the top of my head. Note that for the screen height and screendoor guidelines, the math required could vary based upon the projector's resolution (e.g. - SVGA vs XGA) and screen format (e.g. - 4:3 vs 16:9).

Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same distance in my LT-150 setup - a 120" (8 foot wide x 6 foot 4:3) screen is perfect. If you mostly watch widescreen, a 16x9 with 8 foot width is great. I wouldn't go smaller. Tried smaller screens and they lack the impact. Image is GREAT at this size- wouldn't want to go smaller. I am using a dalite hipower, btw.

-Ben

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have heard so many "rules of thumb" pertaining to screen height vs distance that I believe they really just say "go with what you like". John mentioned 2xheight earlier in this thread. I've personally heard 3-5x depending on the source material (eg. you can sit closer to HD because there is more detail/less line structure).

Perhaps a good idea would be for you to get the lt150 and set it up projecting on the wall or a sheet so that you can get an idea of the size that's practical for you and then buy the screen that matches that size. That way you can avoid being over/underwhelmed by the outcome.

jake

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with Jakehall. Get your projector first and see at what size will satifsy you. I"m in exactly same boat, My LT150 should be here Sat. or Mon., I'll test it out until I get the right size. Then I'll order my screen.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
jakehall, great advice. That's what I've been trying to do with my LT85 (having trouble getting the sheet to stick stuck via tape to my ceiling - the weight of it keeps pulling it down :(). I have to admit, that as much as I like to hold to the idea of having everything contained within my field of view, I really like having a big image, even if the resolution ends up looking lower.

Having said that, I'm limited by the fact that I want to "floor" mount it as well as have an ottoman in front of our loveseat. This ends up putting the LT85 fairly far in front of our seating, and thus creating an image that is smaller than I would like. Not sure what to do. I can't put it behind our loveseat, because then it creates an image far too big. I may try selling my wife on the idea of not getting an ottoman, but I rather like the idea of having one myself for the maximum in comfortable movie watching.

In the end, I'll probably just stick to having a "small" 72" wide (or whatever the specifics turn out to be) 16:9 screen. Even at this "small" size and an approximately 2.5x width viewing distance, it's still going to have a lot more impact than what we and our guests were used to with our 35" TV.

Scott

·
Registered
904 Posts
srauly,

have you considered a ceiling mount?

jake

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mistalve
Tried smaller screens and they lack the impact. Image is GREAT at this size- wouldn't want to go smaller. I am using a dalite hipower, btw.

-Ben
Same thing I noticed with the 92" wide screen. It was very nice, but when I went to 104" the impact was more dramatic, and led to an overall better picture. If you can try first with a sheet that would be a good idea. I was able to sell my 92" da-lite for about $50 less than what I paid for it so I wasn't out much going up one size.

My personal opinion is that if the screen is too small it is kind of like watching a regular TV (which I did for years). It is like you are looking at a "box in the corner." When you get up to a reasonable screen size you become part of the experience. For example, watching Band of Brothers in HD with the sound turned up is quite an emotional experience. Nothing like watching a normal TV, etc.

You know the saying "we measure our screens in feet not inches!"

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Lt150 should be arriving in a few days also. I plan on doing what has been suggested: putting a sheet up to get the correct screen size.

My problem after I do that is, what brand screen produces the best image for these units. I've researched many but still have no clue! What, in your opinion, gives the best picture for the LT150?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Now you're trying to stir up the pot huh?!?!

This is dependant on personal preference, screen size, projector brightness, and room light control. I really like the Da-lite high Power at 104". The colors have great punch and the black level is not bad.

My Tumperized LT100 has equal to or slightly better brightness then the LT150 my friend brought over. So I would expect that your LT150 would look similar, etc. It does make a nice picture without significant adjustment, etc.

Others like the improved black level of a low gain screen (e.g. grey hawk).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.