AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many posts here, I am considering purchasing a Plus Piano HE-3100 and a Stewart Firehawk screen. I'm debating over what size screen to go with - reviews seem to suggest no more than 6'-7' wide, but that smaller sizes may provide a better picture (more "snap"). I'm thinking in terms of a 92" diagonal 16:9 screen (approx 80" x 45").

Would like to hear from you Piano owners out there - what size screen are you using, and what kind of results are you getting? I'll be setting up the projector in a finished basement; light control should not be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Many have dismissed the Piano because of its 450 ANSI Lumen rating. My opinion and experience is that 450 is more than enough in a light controlled environment on a 6' wide screen. I am personally projecting onto a DIY 7' wide screen (84" x 47") and enjoying it immensely. The "Snap" that is referred to comes from a combination of color rendition, contrast ratio, image sharpness, along with brightness. IMO, the Piano combines these elements very well btw 6' and 7' On a 7' wide screen, the image is slightly darker but I've found it to be my preference. Even with 3 150 watt indirect incandescent lights on at the rear of my room, the image is still very watchable.

I have not experienced the Piano's image on any commercial screen. I can only surmise that with a Stewart Firehawk, both contrast and brightness can only improve upon what is already a great image. As most who are new to this FPJ thing, the cinematic experience of a large image projected onto a bare wall will product the "WOW" factor. You'll find the Piano to be no exception. Enjoy...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I pushed it to the limit with a DaLite Model B 92 inch wide 16:9 screen with the Video Spectra 1.5 screen surface. $200. We usually only watch movies at night so light control is no problem. We have under cabinet lights on in the 'open to family room kitchen' with no ill washout. We sit about 15 feet back and love the picture. The 80 inch wide model just wasn't quite big enough for us although I'm sure the pic would have been a bit better. The larger size easily outweighed the little loss of brightness. We experimented first with the Parkland DIY setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Dalite model B video spectra 1.5 84" wide (purchased from AV Science) and am more than happy with the picture and brightness. When I first received my Piano, I used a sheet with pretty good results, but the screen made a big difference. I chose 84" because it seemed like a good size for my room - 17' front to back.

--Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to those who have offered their advice. Let me ask a follow-up...is there anybody out there using a Piano on a 92" diagonal screen (80" x 45") that is NOT happy witht he results?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.