AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages for setting up my home theater, and I'd like to get some input as to how big and what ratio screen I should have.

My viewing room will be 18'X12'. I have a 96" wide motorized recessed screen I'd like to use, but I'm not sure if that will be too wide? I'm planning on mounting my Barco Data 800 on the ceiling.

Thanks for any help!

Eric

·
Registered
132 Posts
For me it would be a good screen size, I like em big.

(Have the same size on screen and room myself,screen not hung up yet tough)

I will set up mine for 16:9 mainly.

Do a search on here and you will find a lot.

mag

·
Registered
876 Posts
The biggest problem you will run into is speaker placement. If the location you are forced to put the speakers in is not good (and from your room dimensions it may be a problem) you will have no alternatives to improve your room resonance issues. BTW, wall lengths that are divisible by the same numer are not recommended. I'd look at 12' X 17' or something similar to change resonance issues. Regards.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you are constrained to a room size with dimensions that are even or simple multiples of each other, you can help the situation, as regards the length dimension by placing your front speakers forward of the screen. That also puts them closer to you for better imaging.

You can also place the horizontal center of your screen and speakers slightly off center, closer to one side wall than the other. Ideally, the acoustic center of each speaker should be at a different distance from every surface ( back wall, side wall, floor, ceiling.

Here are some desireable sized rooms:

19' x 14' x 10'

18' x 13.3' x 9.5'

17' x 12.6' x 9'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.