AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go out on a limb and came up with an interesting screen size for my X1. Since blackout cloth is limited to 54" wide, I knew that making a 4:3 screen just wasn't going to be my cup of tea. I'm buying a projector for a reason - a big, big screen.

So, using 52" as a height (1"excess on top/bottom to wrap around 1x2 framing boards), I started to lay out plans for a 16:9 screen. 92.45" width was what i came up with. Then, I got to thinking...

with the X1s zoom lens, I put the projector at smallest image size. I projected a 92.45" x 52" (16:9) image at around a 17.5' throw distance. at that throw distance, it would fill my 16:9 screen plans. So, I had my throw distance. now, to the thinking part ... The X1 has a zoom lens on it. At the same 17.5' throw distance, I blew up the image as big as I could. I threw in Lord of the rings (2.35:1). with a quick vertical adjustment to the projector, I ended up with an image that was 112" x 47.6". So, why not make my screen 112" wide?
I had 4 yards of blackout cloth, and 10' 1x2 framing boards. I got to work.

I made the screen. Its awesome. I love it.

From one throw distance, I have two different image sizes --- a 112x47.6" 2.35:1 image, and a 92.45" x 52" 16:9 image. I use masking to mask off the screen when watching 16:9 sources -- which fill up the vertical part of the screen. For 2.35:1, horizontally it fills the screen. I still havent made any 112" long masking for the little over 2" black bars on the top and bottom of the 2.35:1 sources. I probably will though.

dont have any pics of it mounted yet, but heres some construction.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing, except I was thinking of making the screen for 2.35 and zoom in for 16x9 (6 of one.... ). What was the quick vertical adjustment you did? My projector will be ceiling mounted so I can mess with the zoom but that would probably be it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
[rmloz]

One side looks like suede and has a slightly greyish tint

And the other is a whiter vinyl and would be the screen side.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
screendoor issue --- my room is laid out like I have in this little image I wrote up...

As long as I'm sitting on one of my two couches (pink blocks in the pic), screendoor isnt too bad. That would be, about 12-16 feet viewing distance, and looking at an image 9' 4" wide. So, I'm close to the old '1.5x' rule.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunately, you have to adjust the angle at which you are throwing when you zoom in. Keystone is small enough that you don't notice, so, I don't even modify the X1's keystone correction. when the x1 zooms, the center of the larger image is not the center of the smaller image. It is lower (if ceiling mounted) or higher if projecting from a tabletop rightside up.

here is an image of the almost finished screen. Right beneath it is a 32" TV that you could easily mistake for a 19". The big screen just dwarfs it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, the zoom on the X1 isn't enough for you to fill the vertical portion of a 52" screen at both 16:9 and 2.35:1. At 16:9, it fills it obviouisly, but, zoomed ALL the way in, the tallest you can get a 2.35:1 source is 47.65" So, I had to sacrifice...

I have a 16:9 image that fills the screen vertically and I mask it off on the sides.... and I have a 2.35:1 that fills the screen horizontally and has 2" of bars on top and bottom that I'm not sure if I'll be masking off or not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Undream:

How is the picture quality (brightness, color saturation) of the X1 when you're zoomed out to 2.35X? I'm looking to do exactly what you've done, but others have said that you're pushing the envelope at such a large size.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no doubt i'm pushing the envelope. I pretty much won't be watching 2.35:1 during the day. period. The fact is that, with a little masking, I have that same 92.45" x 52" screen that most others have. I just use the ultra wide 112" for certain situations. Making the screen larger is planning for a time when, hey, I've got some friends over and we're half drunk, and I'm going to show off a 9 and a half foot wide screen. Sometimes its not TOTALLY about PQ.

·
Registered
358 Posts
:) seeing these pics gives me hope my 10' wide screen and 20' throw distance will work out just fine when I receive my x1 in a few days.

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.