AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy an X1 and build my own screen (parkland and/or goo) and need some advice about screen size for 16 x 9 viewing of:
  • DirecTV (non HD)
  • DVD- Philips Progressive Scan
  • Occasional PC usage

The distance seating is from screen will be 10'-10" to 14' (recliner & sofa/loveseat)

I can ceiling mount the projector a minimum of 14'-6" to a maximum of 16'-5" away from screen.

What size screen would be appropriate?

Many thanks for any replies!

Sincerely,

Sonicflood

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I like sitting back about 2x the screen width. So if your seating distance is, say 12 feet, then your screen should be about 6 feet wide.

Lots of other people say they are happy at 1.5x distance for the X1, but I get distracted by screendoor at that distance.

It depends somewhat on your eyesight, your screen, how much defocussing you can stand, the brightness of the image, and your general pickiness. In other words, you have to try it and decide for yourself what image size you like at your seating distance.

My advice would be not to get too married to any particular screen size or mounting position until you've received your X1 and lived with it for awhile. Then decide what works for you.

See
http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/#5.2

for some more info and a link to the InFocus calculator (to help determine what screen sizes are possible from what distances).

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
We used a well ironed, high thread count sheet thumb tacked to the wall (carefully done so that there are no ripples) for a couple of days to get an idea of the right size and position for our DIY screen. It's very easy to get the projector putting out a perfectly square (and level) picture that way as well.

Our screen is a 4:3 shape 62.5"X49". We sit 8 feet back. The screen door is rarely seen and no problem when it is. Rainbows seem to have gone almost completely.

I wanted to use 4:3 as the X1 is made for it. I did not want to give up entirely the option of projecting a very large and clear IMAX size image when the source would allow me. Being restricted to using only the Native aspect setting on the projector for 4:3 material seemed rather limiting. (The new Casablanca is AMAZING and very sharp) To make it 16:9 (and beyond!) we use black felt strips (cut from larger material) which attach perfectly to the hook side velcro strips I have attached to the vertical edges of the frame. Two sizes of strips are all we need to accommodate the various aspect ratios. Our walls are dark and there are no windows. (basement HT)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sonic..

I would stay on the high side of your seating distance and go with no more than a 80*60 screen or 100" diagonal... for that size screen the distance back would be 13.86' to be in the mid range of the projector lens.

Goo digital grey lite will be a good option with that size screen if you are going to DIY... It is good idea to try out without the screen first and become acclimated to different sizes and see what suits you best.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I built my screen using blackout material from a thread I found on this forum.
http://members.shaw.ca/danhanson/The...eenproject.htm

I modified it to knockout the grey bars on the top and bottom from a 4:3 projector. You can see my screen if you click the gallery button on my post.

The reason I went with the blackout material was because of the dimensions of the screen at 54" x 96" and it was easy to transport and build by myself. I'm sitting 13' from the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.