AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new here and to the projector scene. I have a projector im setting up tomorrow but have come to a delema.

This projector will be used for 70%gaming and 30%movies. MOst of my games i play and prefer 4:3 but movies i prefer 16:9. Whats the best method for screen size here? I was thinking just build a huge 8'x5' screen that way i can do both but i will not be able to have a border around the screen. what do you guys think? the proj is a dell 2300mp and i was going to build the screen using BOC. The room has no windows so light is not an issue. thanks

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Welcome to AVS, fuzzy-1.

You have the right idea; a 5' x 8' will work great. You could make some moveable boarders out of light boards or styrofoam (at Home Depot), wrap them in black velvet or felt, and then attach and move them with the use of Velcro. Project 4:3 and 16:9 images to determine the dimensions of your moveable boarders.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
What I did, was just built my screen 4:3, and watch my 16:9 movies letterboxed.

Seems to work pretty good so far, and on my projector (X1), the bars are black enough that I don't really notice them being 'projected' onto the screen.

Also, there's nothing like playing games (I have a PS2) on an 80" diagonal screen (my screen is 64"x 48")... my kids won't even play them on our 36" TV anymore, because it's 'too small'. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just built my first DIY screen. It is a 8' x 6' screen using blackout cloth for my 4:3 projector (Proxima DP6850+). That way I dont have to adjust the projector when I watch 4:3 or 16:9. An 8' x 6' screen will give you-

4:3 - 120" diagonal (96" x 72")

16:9 - 110" diagonal (96" x 54")

I could build a mask for the bars that are visible during 16:9 movies, but it doesn't bother me, so I am just considering a black boarder around the entire screen. It was very difficult to find BO cloth where I live larger than 54". I did find a place though that carries 110" wide 3 Pass blackout cloth for $17.50 CDN a yard. They don't have a website. I could post their phone# if anyone is interested. I live in Calgary, AB, Canada.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I read the post in projectorcentral referenced above. It deals with using a projector with a zoom range of at least 1.33 (as I recall), using a screen that is 96" x 72". When projecting in hdtv format, the 96x54 part is used. When full screen, the entire 96x72 is used.

I am planning a fixed, 96x54 BFLF screen. I've also thought it would be nice to have a 96x72 pull down screen mounted just in front of my fixed screen, so that I could use it for full frame t.v., movies, etc.

I'm using a Sanyo Z4, which has a 2x zoom.

My question is: what is the range of distances from the screen wall that I can mount my projector so that it will project the 54x96 and then when zoomed somewhat, also project the 72x96 full frame?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Westshorestudios,

The formula to calculate is:

Throw Distance (TD)= Image Width (W) x Throw ratio (TR)

If your manual has the throw ratio in it you can figure out the distances quite easily. Remember for (W) it is the width of the image, ie 96" not the diagonal size (120").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.