AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...I have been reading this sight for some time as I finished my basement over the past year. I am now getting to the fun part! I am looking to do this on a budget, so I am considering the Viewsonic Pro8100 with an Elite Screens EzFrame Cine Grey screen.

The lens of my projector will be approximately 13' from the screen wall. I have been experimenting with ProjectorCentrals calculator to determine the appropriate screen size. I am a little confused. With zoom at 1.17, a 13' throw, the screen size would be 92". Is 1.17 zoom reasonable? The zoom is listed as 1.60:1 on the spec sheet.

I want to confirm my decision for Cine Grey as well. In Art's review, he said this would be optimal due to average black level performance. My basement has no ambient light.

What does everyone think the optimal screen size would be at 10'? According to the 1.5 rule, that would be 92" would be approx. right.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Chad

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_raymer /forum/post/17008464

The lens of my projector will be approximately 13' from the screen wall. I have been experimenting with ProjectorCentrals calculator to determine the appropriate screen size. I am a little confused. With zoom at 1.17, a 13' throw, the screen size would be 92". Is 1.17 zoom reasonable? The zoom is listed as 1.60:1 on the spec sheet.

I want to confirm my decision for Cine Grey as well. In Art's review, he said this would be optimal due to average black level performance. My basement has no ambient light.

What does everyone think the optimal screen size would be at 10'? According to the 1.5 rule, that would be 92" would be approx. right.

Hi Chad. I think the calculator may be somewhat off. A 92" 16:9 screen's viewing area is 80.2" wide. At 13' the throw ratio would be (13 x 12) / 80.2 = 1.95. This is well within the projector's zoom range of 1.41 to 2.28. The 1.6 figure is simply the maximum throw ratio of the projector (2.28), divided by the minimum throw ratio (1.41).

As to screen color, if your walls and ceiling are white (not recommended), then a gray screen may improve your ANSI contrast ratio a little. If your walls and ceiling are dark, then a gray screen will simply make the image dimmer. This is better done at the projector IMO.

Screen size is largely personal preference. I watch a 100" 16:9 screen from 12.5 feet. It seems about right to me. Others here will prefer larger.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_raymer /forum/post/17011429

Thanks FLboy

So the 92" screen would be alright given zoom capabilities of the Pro8100 from 13'. I just want to confirm your answer.

Thanks,

Chad

Yes, you would be near the middle of your zoom range--a comfortable place to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also think that 92" will suite you. You need to go for it.

Airbrush Makeup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts