AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my projector a year ago, just like most people do, I got all excited about make the screen as large as possible. Now I am starting to think it's too big. While it projects a clear and sharp image, sitting only about 10 feet from a 96" diagonal screen seems a bit too much. Most video sources run on 480p or are upscaled to 720p. What do you think?

The problem with making the screen smaller is the projector will have to be moved more inward into the back-center of the room in order to use the maximum amount of phosphor. I have given up on ceiling mounting it since I live in an apartment (don't want to be sued by the property owner).

I could place it underneath the coffee table, but I'd have to move the entertainment center that sits in the front to some other part of the room and move the screen about 3 feet down...but then the screen would probably be way too small too (I'll have to run PJCalc to see).

I am limited on rearranging the furniture because most of it is my roommate's - so any changes will have to be agreed upon with the roommate...oh the wonders of being a college student.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
FWIW, I have a 96" diagonal screen and I watch from about 11'. Assuming your screen is 16:9, it's about 84" wide. 10' is 120" so you're watching at about 1.43x screen width. That's not at all unusual for the crazies in this crowd; there are people who routinely watch at 1.1x. So there's no reason you CAN'T be happy where you are.

But it's all about what works for you. If 1.43x is "too close" for you, then you should do something about it so you can enjoy your projector. It sounds like moving the projector closer could be difficult or impossible. You *could* just make the raster smaller. That would make the picture smaller but no brighter, and you run the risk of wearing a small area on the tubes if you run it that way a long time.

You're a college student in an apartment. You probably won't be there forever. If it was me I'd just enjoy the 1.43x screen size, and maybe change it the next time I moved. Hell, if I'd had a screen like that when I was in college I never woulda graduated!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.