AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasing Epson Home Cinema 1080 UB projector, and trying to decide how big of a screen I want to go. The max I can go will be 134" diag. (16x9) I'm going to get an elitescreens Cinetension 2 electric screen with a gain of 1.1. I will be mounting the projector between 15 and 16 feet.

The room will be more of a multipurpose room in the basement (16'x35'x8', screen wall on the 16' wall), but I will be able to control all lighting in front of the projector at all times, but there may be some times when lights will be on behind it, in party situations. The screen will also be coming down over a window, but it will have a black out shade, and has one of the basement well things around it on the outside. We haven't picked out our paint for the house yet, but we are leaning towards a brownish shade, white trim, most likely a white ceiling.

Will I be ok with a 134" diag screen or should I go down to 120" diag? If I go down to a 120" will I be able to get away with a lower lumen projector (the non-UB epson?).

Here is a drawing of the space. Will the stairs cause an issue with ambient light?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Ever stood in front of a 120" 16:9 screen in person?

I'd suggest 120" with the brightest 1080p projector you can afford.

I am not attempting to steer you away from the 136" screen at all. But in my experience, most owners under estimate the size of such a screen by a large margin. If your well aware of the size involved, I say go the max size you can go period.

If there is a wife involved at all.... She should probably look at a 136"-ish screen and a 120"-ish screen in person. Wives are notorious for the screen is to big opinion even at 120" which is still darn big.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
What projector is "this" projector?

CJ

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/14163959

What projector is "this" projector?

CJ

Epson Home Cinema 1080 UB... (sorry originally posted this in the projector thread, but didn't get an answer, so I thought I'd try here)

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
At 136" 16:9 screen with 1.1 gain. The UB makes it decent enough.

At 120" you have pretty much light to spare with it, more desirable number in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I believe people over estimate, not underestimate, the size of a screen.

100-105" is small and yet I see many "home theaters" projecting as such!

-ELmO

·
Banned
98 Posts
If it were a dedicated Theater room with total lighting control I would say get the 134"; the Epson would do a good job.

If it is more of a "multipurpose" room with friends, football, lights etc... the 120" would allow you to have a slightly brighter percieved image with the ambient light you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Natale /forum/post/14165170

If it were a dedicated Theater room with total lighting control I would say get the 134"; the Epson would do a good job.

If it is more of a "multipurpose" room with friends, football, lights etc... the 120" would allow you to have a slightly brighter percieved image with the ambient light you mentioned.

Would you suggest the 1080 UB for the 120" as well or would I be ok to go to a projector not as bright?

·
Banned
98 Posts
The light output of the Epson 1080UB in your situation is right between a light controlled room and a small amount of ambient light. I would not do anything with less light output.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
How many rows of seats will be in the room. The larger the screen you get, the closer to the floor the bottom of the screen will be and you want to ensure anyone in a second of third row (even with risers) can see over the seats in front of them and still see the bottom of the screen

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/14165483

How many rows of seats will be in the room. The larger the screen you get, the closer to the floor the bottom of the screen will be and you want to ensure anyone in a second of third row (even with risers) can see over the seats in front of them and still see the bottom of the screen

There will probably only be one row of seats, but for "events" (Football Games, etc.) Chairs will be brought in behind the seating up front...

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
for events people seem to sit anywhere and not care if they can't see the bottom of the screen/etc - it sounds like you won't have a riser anyway so not much you can do to let them see easily so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Theres actually an exact forumla, depending on how far you sit from the screen that will tell you the optimal size screen to use. A 35' foot room is a excellent room that I could see easily fitting three rows of seats if you wanted. Considering though that the majority of the time, it will only be a single row, with you sitting much closer to the screen I would say 136" may be overkill. Sitting to close may be like sitting in the front row of a movie theater and sitting further back may be hard to see the bottom of the screen.

I think a 100-110" would probably be the best option unless you had a higher ceiling and/or were planning to put in risers for additional rows.

When I first started building my dedicated room we originally were only planning on a large flat screen tv around 60". I took some scrap wood trim and made a box frame out of it to match the dimensions of what a 60" tv would equal and hung it on the wall. Visually seeing the frame on the wall greatly influenced our decision to move up to a larger screen and pj.

I have a 110" in my 20' long room and although I wouldnt want to go with a smaller screen I would love if I was able to raise the screen a couple of feet higher if the ceiling would have allowed it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess my issue is that I'm really only going to be using 1/2 - 2/3's of the room for the media section, in the back there will eventually be a bar and maybe a card table or something... but for now it will just be an open area which will be a play area for the 1 year old...

I will definately take the suggestion of mocking up the screen sizes using wood or duct tape though before purchasing the screen. Unfortunately I can't really just buy the projector and project onto the wall before getting the screen because I'll be projecting onto a wall with a window... Although I guess for just size considerations it wouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just completed my HT and screen size was a tough decision... my room measures 13 wide by 17 deep and although I wanted at least 110'; my HT installer talked me into a 104' fixed from Carada. In the end; I am glad he did... IMHO 104' is perfect for my room..... especially first row... which is 10.5' from the screen.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My whole purpose for a dedicated room and projector, is screen size. Why go through all the trouble and not maximize that goal?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Basicall a 134" screen with border is going to be somewhere around 6' in height. With a ceiling height of 8' thats either going to leave only a single foot between the floor and the bottom of the screen or 2 foot if you hang the screen to the top of the ceiling.

This will fit but the problem lies whether or not this leaves enough room for a center speaker to be placed under the screen and whether or not all seating will be able to see the entire screen.

But of course it comes down to personal decision if this is acceptable to each individual person, I'm just pointing out that these things should be considered while making an informed decision.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
If I were installing it? I'd be reccomending 120" and the UB.

I agree there are those that will love larger screens than that, but really most owners 120" in their room with thier planned seating is about as big as practical.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts