AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I do something it seems I go overboard and to me bigger is always better. My room is 17 by 24 with 9 foot ceiling and about a 10 inch soffit, it will be a dedicated theater. I was planning on using about 135 inch screen which would be 66 inches high and 118 wide, with my first row of seating at about 15 feet. I've drawn it on the wall and yes its big but I think it looks ok from 15 feet. I was talking to a dealer and he told me he would not go any bigger then 110 inch in that size room, he said it would over power the room. Do you guys think 135 inch is too large, should I scale it back a bit?

thanks

Phil

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, the rule of thumb for screen size vs seating distance is no less than 1.5 the width of the screen. For a 118" screen that distance comes to 14.75' so you're OK there. But a lot depends a lot on you're projector. A low resolution LCD projector isn't going to cut it. A high resolution LCD projector probably won't be that great either, but a mid to high end DLP projector will probably work. If it's possible, I would get the projector and watch a couple movies on the wall before committing to an expensive screen that you decide later isn't the right size.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't decided for sure on a projector, don't think I'll be done for at least another 6 months but will probably be a Dwin TV3 or Sharp 12k or Infocus 7205 or something on that order. Thats not a bad idea to use the wall for a bit to see what looks good. Right now I'm just trying to get my can lights in the right spots over the seating area and above the screen.

Phil

·
Registered
151 Posts
Phil,

I was given the same advice while designing my theater. I wanted a minimum 10 foot wide screen, my designer suggested a 100 inch screen. His reasons: some dvds just dont look good blown up too big (this can be true), my first row of seating is at 13 feet so 10 feet wide would only be 1.3 away (concerned about screen door), and he had a few others. Well I like a big screen and I dont like tilting my head up to watch it. To me a 100 inch screen was too small and mounted too high on the wall. I just got a 2HD and even though my theater is far from done I am testing it to see how it works. I'm throwing a almost 11 footwide image, with seating at 13 and 18 feet, speakers mounted above the screen, screen starts about 20 inches from the floor. I just love it. I dont think it overpowers the room. What it does give me is flexibility to watch a really big (5 feet high) 4:3 movie (like the Adventures of Robin Hood) and a 11 foot wide 2:35 movie like Attack of the Clones. There are some DVDs that will look bad at this size but lately alot of DVDs have been great transfers and eventually there will be HD DVDs. Projectors are also getting better, I cant see any screen door at 13 feet and this is my first entry level projector. By the time I upgrade in a few years they will be even better. I am only using a few sheets I tacked up to the wall for testing and am very pleased. You should try it!

-Pete

·
Registered
25,051 Posts
I'm using a 107" wide screen in a room 16' x26'8" with a 9'3" ceiling ( very similar to yours). This screen doesn't overpower the room in fact look at the front shots and I think I could still go another foot wider and it would still look good. I sit in front at 1.1 screen width and good DVDs and HD looks great there. My second row is 15' and the last row is 21" back. This is CRT however so the one difference might be pixel visibility but the other parameters say 10" wide would be no problem.

Art

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for reasuring me, I'm gonna continue as planned with a 10 foot wide screen. I don't think it over powers the room. Once I get a projector I'll set it up and make sure things look good. If it was in a family room or multi use room a smaller screen may be ok, but in a dedicated theater I want as big a picture as I can get. Just goes to show you the only place to get good advice is right here.

Phil

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use an sx21 on a 11" wide 2.35:1 screen. Our room is 17 x 26. The first row of seating is approximately 14 feet back from the screen. I do not think that it is a problem at all.

At first I was concerned that going with a 2.35:1 screen was a mistake. Now that I have experience with it, I know it is the right solution.

IF you go to 10' wide in a 16:9 format, the image may be too large for the procsenium etc.

When I watch 1:9 movies, I mask the image with curtains at about 9' wide.

The set up is great.

By using dila, no pixel structure is visable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.