AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this time, I am planning on purchasing a Panasonic AE700 projector, for a 15' wide by 19' deep by 9.5' tall room. I think a 54x96 screen would fit nicely, but can fit a 58x104. Any suggestions??

Is bigger always better when it comes to screens?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Nope. Bigger being better is dependent on several factors, including:

1. Viewing distance.

2. Source material.

3. Projector and room setup.

4. Personal preference.

How far are sitting from the screen?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently finished my HT and also went with the Panny 700.

My room is 13x18. The backs of my front row seats are at 12', so eye sight is roughly 11' from the screen.

I "temporarily" painted the front wall w/ Behr paint ("silverscreen" recommended from the DIY forum) and can fit a 96" wide image (110" diag).

When or if I get around to a screen, I'll probably only go with a 87" wide/100" diag screen. I have the image sized around 100" and I've found that the smaller size looks better for the front row. Back row looks great and it is still plenty big.

Also - my projector is mounted 12' back, ceiling mounted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently purchased an AE-700 as well and it is just awesome......and it currently on an off-white, more-or-less matte wall. Right now I have it about 10 feet from the the wall and its producing a 86" diagonal. My feeling is that I will be able to go larger to the 90-95" range. However, before I build my permanent screen, I'll be mounting it on a custom shelf on the rear wall and watching it for a while to determine this.

So......provide the wall is relatively white and matte, my suggestion is resist the urge (which is considerable, I know) to purchase the screen right off the bat. Mount it and experiment. There are a number of resources to help you determine ideal screen size. If you really are keen on it, check out the calculator put together by this HT enthusiast. I cant post a full URL yet (only my second post) but add the dubs and dots to myhometheater*homestead* com and check out the link to the calculator.

But at the end of the day, there is no way to account for the particularities of your own personal experience. Mount it, experiment and see for yourself what makes most sense. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laughable, but I couldn't find my way back to this thread until today. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Sony VPL-HS51 and a painted screen "goo". I would like to get the screen painted on soon, as I hear the curing process helps the image. I am trying to fit curtains, and the stacking area required may limit me to the 106" diagonal (92" wide).

Rick

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bigger was better for me. =)

12' wide room, seating is 16' back from the screen.

Didn't know whether I should go with a 120" screen or 133" screen.

Went with the 133" screen and it's awesome.

Wicked, bright, beautiful, perfect, shocking to people who haven't seen a large projector setup!!

Panny AE700, Dalite Cosmo w/High Power fabric, 133".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.