AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks:

I am looking at HDTVs. I have my living room set up with minimal equipment and cables. Everything's in the basement and comes up through the floor where needed for the 5.1 system.

I am hoping to get an HDTV and use it's built-in speakers as the front speaker for the 5.1. This would get rid of one more wire, allow me to use a very minimal stand, and make it a lot easier to move the screen around the room a bit for various viewing situations.

I saw someone asked about this with a Vizio screen on another thread and was told it wouldn't work.

Is there any manufacturer making a screen that would support this?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsummerall /forum/post/14285785

I am hoping to get an HDTV and use it's built-in speakers as the front speaker for the 5.1.

Is there any manufacturer making a screen that would support this?

Do you mean using the TV's speakers as your center channel speaker or as your L/R front speakers?

Either way, if the TV has a pair of audio inputs AND you use the particular mode (i.e. Video2) that those particular audio inputs are associated with for your video connection AND your receiver has pre-outs, you can do this. But you will not be satisfied with the results. For L/R speaker use you would connect the receiver's front L/R pre-outs to the R/L audio input on the TV. For center channel use, if you wanted to utilize both of the TV's speakers, you would split the single center channel pre-out with a Y-adapter so that you could connect this to both the R and L audio inputs on the TV.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsummerall /forum/post/14286129

Sadly there is no appropriate wall. The LCD will have to be mounted on some kind of stand.

Have you considered a soundbar such as THIS . It comes with a stand so it can be stand mounted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no wall. Our living room has no appropriate wall for a tv.

The TV will be mounted on a table or stand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts