AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up my HLM507W today (hurray!) and am in the process of burning in the bulb. Everything was looking great until I noticed a couple of dark spots on the screen. They're relatively small -- about 1/8 of an inch in diameter.

One spot has clearly defined edges, leading me to believe that it's actually on the inside of the screen. The second is more fuzzy. It looks like it's part of the projected image (although it's always there, no matter what is being displayed). Does that indicate that the spot is actually on the lens?

Has anyone else seen these sorts of things and will a simple cleaning take care of the problem? This is my first RPTV so I'm unfamiliar with the common issues. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have one along the upper edge also. It looks like a big dust spot, but on the inside of the screen.

DVD playback on this set looks so gorgeous, except when I stare at that spot....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Roberto,

I have the 437. When I received it I wanted to see how to replace the lamp while the unit was warming up to house temperature. I discovered an access door above the panel of input/output jacks on the back of the set. Its about 3 X 5 and it only took one or two screws to remove. You could gain access to a view of the entire inside of the screen. You can also see the top of the main lens in the optical train. You may be able to remove any dust or dirt via this access hole.

Ray

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I had the same problems with my set when I got my first one, Tweeter told me that it was a sign of internal damages, they ended up replacing the set, but I would call for a service call to have it cleaned/checked, just to be sure.

Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

I had the same problems with my set when I got my first one, Tweeter told me that it was a sign of internal damages, they ended up replacing the set, but I would call for a service call to have it cleaned/checked, just to be sure.

--------------

Hmm... that doesn't sound promising. I do have a service plan (through Ultimate Electronics), but one of the features of the plan is that you get half the cost back if you don't use it. So I'm probably going to push for a replacement (since I've had the set for less than a day).

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's dust. Call 1-800-SAMSUNG and have them send someone out to clean it.

FYI, dust on the lens will make a dim circle about 2.5-3" in diameter that you can barely see on some scenes. The small stuff is probably on the screen itself.

Ken

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hey pspun!

I'll tell you the good news. I've never seen a better image. I couldn't believe how good it was right out of the box. They've definitely improved things since the Tweeter demo set we originally tweaked.

The other good news is that 50" is huge in my application. I thought it would be marginal, but 61" wouldn't work there and 50" isn't too big but its close.

Ken

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ken, that is great!, Same here! I love this set! What is the manufacturing date? When you get in the SM, please post the version number and the default values.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I wondered about that with Ken, he has been awful quiet, I wondered if he had an OOTB problem or not . . . anyway I think I have the dust problem, so at least he popped in long enough to tell me the info I need. It is probably elsewhere but I haven't searched hard yet.

I hate to call Samsung though--no way a blast of canned air to the right spot will take care of this? Does something have to be disassembled to get to the dust most likely?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I keep picturing someone with a Q-tip taped to the end of a stick fishing around through that little access panel.

Wonder where the Q-tip will land when it falls off in the set? :)

(now picture a large shadow on the screen in the shape of a Q-tip head)

:)

Ken

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenLand
Hey pspun!

The other good news is that 50" is huge in my application. I thought it would be marginal, but 61" wouldn't work there and 50" isn't too big but its close.

Ken
Ken how far away from your 50" are you sitting?

I'm going to be 9'-10' and keep flopping from 50" to 61". I really want as close to a movie experience as I can get in our little living room. My wife is bothered by the size of the screen when it isn't on!!

Thanks for all your many contributions.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
It's in our bedroom so it ranges from about 6' to 15' depending if your on the edge of the bed or sitting against the headboard.

I got to see Jeff Autor's 617 for a few hours the other night and it was very nice too. It gave a better big theater feel for sure, but I was more sensitive to rainbows from moving my eyes back and forth across the screen. (just due to its size and following normal action)

I don't know, in my living room 61" might be better... (guess I didn't help much)

Ken

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
It's in our bedroom so it ranges from about 6' to 15' depending if your on the edge of the bed or sitting against the headboard.

I got to see Jeff Autor's 617 for a few hours the other night and it was very nice too. It gave a better big theater feel for sure, but I was more sensitive to rainbows from moving my eyes back and forth across the screen. (just due to its size and following normal action)

I don't know, in my living room 61" might be better... (guess I didn't help much)

Ken
Thanks, you did help.

I have never seen rainbows but if the screen is so big that my head moves maybe I would. I was using the $25,000 Fujitsu 61" plasma to sell my wife on the larger screen. Maybe we had better see a Samsung 61" before we make a final choice.

We went to see the latest Star Wars film in an IMax theater. That was a big big big mistake. I wouldn't want to do something like that in my living room.

How does the PQ compair going from 50" to 61"? Did you notice any size related problems other than rainbows?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
My first impression of the 61 was that it had better OOTB PQ, but after receiving my Nov. 507 I see Samsung has improved overall with this.

There is also the DNIe and Digital Filter on the 61 that most likely has the potential to improve the picture. We didn't have time to evaluate all of the adjustments on the DNIe though so someone still needs to do that.

Mostly the 61 is a bigger 50. All eval was done through a DVI STB (ts160) and my DVI HTPC.

You want to go all DVI if possible.

Ken

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Mostly the 61 is a bigger 50. All eval was done through a DVI STB (ts160) and my DVI HTPC.

You want to go all DVI if possible.

Ken
Thanks Ken. What have you put into your HTPC to make it DVI?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
I keep picturing someone with a Q-tip taped to the end of a stick fishing around through that little access panel.

Ken
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried with a Q-tip, and managed to swipe away the dust particle.

Now the picture is simply awesome...

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
htwaits,

If you finally get a 50 or 61 inch DLP RP will you have to change your name to hthas?

I've got an Immersive Holo3DGraph input card with Faroudja deinterlacing and an ATI Radeon 7000 video card in my PC. PowerStrip software rounds out the software needed to make it all work. It's the Radeon video card that has DVI.

I've also got a Focus Enhancement's CS-2 external scaler on order. It will perform the function of my H3DPC in a smaller dedicated box.

I'll keep only one of these two after I decide which I prefer.

Palladia,

I'm glad that you benefitted!

I was wondering which little panel you used. There seems to be one more toward the center and one more toward the left. (if you are looking at the rear of the set)

What did you see in there?

Ken

·
Registered
43 Posts
From the back facing front, there's a little removalable panel on the very left side. I was amazed see all that empty space inside the set. It really is a projection unit!

The spec of "dust" was all the way toward the top of the screen, about 3mm in size. I got my wife to stick her arm in there (mine are too large). I taped two Q-tips back to back, since she couldn't reach quite that far.

Using a flashlight from the front to guide her, we swiped the thing off the top, but it landed down in the middle of the screen! One more try did the trick.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.