AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear any suggestions and\\or experiences with screens people are using with high lumen projectors.

I own a Proxima 9260+ (Sanyo 21N equiv.) and it is rated at 2500 lumens. I am not sure it really gets that high but it is bright to say the least. I don't like the trade offs related to grey screens and I can see screen door at 1.5 distance. I am currently projecting on an off white flat wall. I am leaning towards something matte white (aka 1 gain) but didn't know what products people are having the most luck with. I prefer DIY for the cost issue alone.

Tryg's articles have been very helpful but I would like other experiences specifically in the .8 to 1.1 gain arena.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the exact same projector. (Bought it from Projector People about a year ago). I too am about to figure out a screen situation. I am thinking about a DIY (Otherwise you are looking at an easy $1000). When I ceiling mounted the projector, the size of the image was not as large as the instruction manual stated. I am getting about 99inch diagonal image and the projector is about 12-13 feet back. The image is excellent though!

Projector People recom. a Dalite screen for me. But it would have to be custom cut and cost about $1000. I would also like a slight gray screen (I too am projecting onto a white wall and get screen door effect). Have you priced out the Dalites from PP?

Have you been bothered by the secondary fan comming on at all?

Let me know what you find out about screens. (And anythiunbg else useful for this projector)

Thanks,

Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if many folks took advantage of a ~10K projector clearing out for less than 1/3 last year....

Anyway, I love the light level but really dread the screen door with too much gain on a screen. I know at some point (probably sooner rather than late) I am going to have to pony up for the Prismasonic or Panamorph to increase pixel density.

I have not looked at the Dalites but think anything over 1.1 is going to be an issue until I have something to re-utilize all the pixels available on this projector. I am also concerned about white balance and think the greys really make a difference I can't live with. I guess I have the tastes of a 50K home theater (video only) and the budget of about 1/10 that :).

I won't even go into what I do on the audio side (extreme).

For now I am talking to several companies including EZTheater and more about their fabric while I build my own frame. I will then try to use masking solutions that include manually pulling black frabric for differing ratios. If I invest in the lens I spoke about I will only have to worry about 2.35:1 and manual method to remove the lens for 4:3. I personally am in the same thought process as Tryg with his many screen tests. Test many, many methods on a DIY level before laying out the big bucks!! If this isn't for you, that is OK too but I just can't bring myself to invest that much unless I know I will have it for several years. I personally doubt this projector will last another year for me.

BTW, yes the fan drives me crazy. If I didn't need the warranty it would already be gone!

Good luck with whatever you decide. This can get frustrating to say the least. I guess the whole problem is "I have a day job :-\\"

Todd K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.