AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently compared a Panasonic AE700 LCD projector to my Barco Graphics 801 (review available in the AE700 thread in the under $3500 Digital forum). One of the things I liked about the AE700 was its brightness compared to my 801. I'm wondering if there is a low cost screen option that will net me some more gain than my current ultrawhite painted blackout cloth screen? I considered a DaLite High Power screen, but it's $500 just for the fabric. Anyone know of an alternative fabric I could get for around $200 or less?

·
Premium Member
17,249 Posts
Is your CRT ceiling or floor mounted?

What width?

Unless you curve your screen, I think it's a good rule of thumb to stay with 1.3 to 1.5 gain.

The Da-Lite Video Spectra 1.5 is what I'm considering. You can get a 8' wide pull down with your budget. If the pull down gives ripples and waves, rip it off the roller and staple it to a frame built out of 2x2s.

Search ebay for "Video Spectra" (like 5726125175 or 5726385062) and/or call Jason at AVS.

·
Registered
707 Posts
How wide is your screen? I had a hi-power and only paid ~$200 for an 80" width 4:3 Model B Hi-Power brand spanking new from Da-Lite too.

I am currently using a matte white also and would be curious to know anyones opinion who has seen or own the video spectra or even the 1.3 cinema vision.

Chris

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you can put the bulb machine behind you firing close over your head ,then there's no better than the high power for the money.

For a ceiling mount the M2500 has a wider cone than a silverstar and way way wider cone than the high power. It's not bad even off the best axis

David

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
David, does the M2500 or High Power hotspot when flat? I've read you have both the M2500 and High Power.

Which do you like better, for ceiling mount, when in the drivers seat (not off axis)?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
CZ

The high power never hotspot's. The M2500 does, but it's so big and diffuse it never rears it's ugly head like the Stewart 2.0 I had.

Never use the high power with a ceiling mount, this is not reccomended by the manufacturer for good reason, it's retro-reflective. Only where a low ceiling and the lense is within a arm,s lenght would it work well.

Angular-reflective is where the M2500 will work best, but under the best seat scenario the highpower wins hands down if you can stand the narrow viewing cone and a high floor mount location. Overall wider cone and more flexibility, the M2500 is a cheap alternative.

A wide cone high power is what everyone wants- sorry! It won,t happen anytime soon.

All the high gains will cause color shift with CRT, but for me the lowered stress on the CRT and sharper overall (reduced blooming) picture, plus reduced light splatter off walls (more focused light path to you) with higher contrast ratio's add up to little negatives compared to the gains.

I see color shift with 1.0 material, especially with the big heavy aluminum HD lenses, less for sure, but still there . These negatives are only visible on 80 to 100 IRE levels and only manifest themselves occasionally with the high gains

I can appreciate the wide cone 1.3 material and what it does right of course, but the low output nature of CRT has me supplementing it at the moment.

David

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The Hi Power is a retroreflective, i.e. it reflects back to the source like a stopsign or other traffic sign. This is perfect if the source is near your eye, less than perfect if the source is up on the ceiling (and you're not
). Also I understand they tend to colorshift with CRTs because the 3 color sources aren't in the same spot. Retros tend not to hotspot too badly because the angle between the major reflection (green in the attached pic) and your eye is small across the screen.

The M2500 is angular reflective, like a diffuse mirror. That works better for ceiling-mounted projectors where the light source is far from your eye. But they tend to be more susceptable to hotspotting, since you end up with large variation in angles between your eye and the major reflection. Angular reflective screens benefit from curving, since that aims the major reflection closer to your viewing position.

Gary

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Now that would a killer, a curved torus M2500 screen

David

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm really considering going to the high power. Right now I'm using the video spectra and I like it, but it's still not that bright with my high hour Barco 800 or my 1031Q. I think it's because of my eye problems and nearsightedness. Plus I'd like to reduce the contrast and decrease the blooming on the CRT's.

I think I can live with some color shift, because I'm used to some older RPTV's that had a ton of it, and I know that even the high power screen won't color shift that bad or have that narrow of a viewing angle.

Viewing area is about 12 feet wide, screen is 60x80 model B pull down. Barco is floor mounted, 1031Q is cieling mounted. Ceiling is really low in the room, about 6.5 feet, so the high power should work well either way, don't you think? I can touch the sony while sitting under it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies! My screen is 45x80. The CRT is ceiling mounted, so the High Power is out. Looks like the M2500 might be the way to go, I'll do some more research into it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CZ Eddie
M2500 can be found for sale here:

http://avsf.videogon.com/cgi-bin/buy...isc&1103639311

It's about 2 gain and has been compared to dalite high power in some ways. AVS also sells it for good prices in larger sizes if needed.
fwiw: i've emailed this person on 3 occasions with (reasonable) questions and never received an answer.

I am preparing to build a 95" wide 2.05:1 torus screen out of vutec pearlecsent 3.1gain material. AVS supplied it within your budget + shipping

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Armstrr, have you previously viewed the Vutec Pearlescent material? My big hesitation with a pearlescent screen has been "sparklies" or "sheen". I've watched glass beaded and silverstar screens and decided against them because they add noise to picture that makes it look like you're looking at the image through a haze or filter, even though the resulting picture is brighter. Have you noticed anything like this on a pearlescent screen?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by armstrr
fwiw: i've emailed this person on 3 occasions with (reasonable) questions and never received an answer.

I am preparing to build a 95" wide 2.05:1 torus screen out of vutec pearlecsent 3.1gain material. AVS supplied it within your budget + shipping
How does one build a torus screen? Is there any DIY instructions posted somewhere that explains a good method of making the curve? I am interested in purchasing or building a new screen soon.

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.