AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to get a IF7200 for a good price. I would prefer the Sharp 10k but the image on the IF 7200 is very nice and stunning with HD material.

Now, I am budgeting for the screen. A search revealed that a lot of folk like the Stewart Firehawk. Some folks like the Draper. What are your thoughts?

I am calculating a screen size of 96" to 100" diag. The room is light controlled. Most of the seating will be in front of the screen.

Thanks,

AlrightyThen

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Good question, I too may be getting a 7200 but will not be able to afford a Stewart screen. How are the DaLite Cinema Visions with the 7200? We may need to move this to screens....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, how big of a screen are you looking at getting? If it is 100" diagonal or less, you might want to consider a Stewart Greyhawk instead of a Firehawk (in order to enhance the CR and black levels).

Is your room going to be perfectly light controlled or is it somewhere you might have lots of ambient light? A Firehawk will be very bright with a 7200, but you might want that, depending on your screen size and ambient light situation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're doing some final touches on our drapery but once that it done the room will be very dark.

Hmm, I hadn't considered the Greyhawk. I sent an e-mail to Daniel about the Da-lite HCCV. Thanks for the suggestion concerning the Greyhawk.

As far as preferences, I like bright images but I hate washed out. Washed out is what I'm trying to avoid with the 7200.

- AlrightyThen

·
Registered
582 Posts
We have a Firewhawk 110" with the Infocus 7200. We saw the grey hawk in the dealer showroom running an Infocus 7200. The firehawk in our oppinion is the better way to go for our application family room / Home theater. We can have the lights on and still have a great picture (not washed out) The firehawk for some reason seems to be able to negate ambiant lighting to some degree. Unitl my kids start playing with the flashlights aimed at the screen. :)

When I contacted Stewart they indicated I should go with the Firehawk in lieu of the greyhawk. Exceptional product, easy to install and quality shipping..the only thing that was ackward was the delays which amounted to three weeks.

Good luck I'm sure either way you can't go to far wrong!

Its all about fun!

Cheers,

Requis

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have the firehaw, on a very small screen. The projector is at its most-zoomed in point. At my seating distance the screen is just a little too visible because of the sparkly material. I think a grayhawk would have been better for my particular situation. I like it with the FH though as well.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I use a Firehawk 106". It is in a semi light controlled room and the picture is great. I can watch it with some lights on, but it does wash the picture out slightly. I haven't seen the da-lites and the Greyhawk screens. I purchased the Firehawk for the ability to shed ambient light. I got a great deal on mine also. I will send you a pm.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I'm using a 92" Hi Contrast Cinema Vision with a 7200, and I think it makes a great match. If anything, it may be too bright.

My suggestions: under 100", Grayhawk or HC Cinema Vision. 100 - 105" HC CinemaVision. Over 105", Firehawk. This would be assuming that you can control ambient light. If not, a Firehawk is hands down the best at getting ambient light under control. Under 105", though, the Firehawk may be too intensely bright with the 7200 in completely dark rooms.

JOHN

·
Registered
794 Posts
John,

good recommendations...but remember that the 7200 can be toned down with a ND filter, giving you even more flexibility regarding screen type and screen size. For example I think an appealing combination is the ND fitted 7200 with a smallish Firehawk (say 96").

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
With the ND that should be a pretty good combo. I still haven't tried an ND with either the 7200 or the 5700 - I should get my hands on one!

I think it was you that pointed out uniformity issues with the 7200 on a 92" Firehawk. After spending time with a very honest Stewart rep at CEDIA, I know much more about the Firehawk's tendency to hotspot with smaller screen sizes and/or bright projectors. He personally recommended the Greyhawk for anything under 105". at least with the 7200.

Did Bob Williams ever get back to you? Just curious...

JOHN

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I´m getting an IF 5700 and will probably have it 106" in a light controlled room. I was planning on getting a Da-Lite HCCV(or a projecta high contrast, if that´s excactly the same like the dealer here in Iceland told me?). BUT I see that the 5700 has two lamp options, 220w and 250w. I´ll go for the 220w one because of the 3k life, but is it much dimmer, will it be to dim for that screen(I´m asuming the 1k lum spec is with the 250w)?

I can place the projector from 14,4 to 16,5feet(the length of my room) for an 106" image. Is it better having it as close as possible or as far away as possible, and how much lower from the ceiling will the top of the image be than the projector(which will be ceiling mounted)?

ps. sorry if I´m invading the thread.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know this is controversial, but ? why not use the High Power with this or other DLP projectors? I have read about and seen this screen with the Sanyo PLV-70. It looks great on that bright projector. No hot spots, no need for tab tensioning on drop down screens. Use nd filters when you desire that effect. And very affordable. Check out some of our members comments using this screen in the PLV-70 thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=188507

(about 3/4 the way down this thread is the screen area)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by angilasaurus

I think it was you that pointed out uniformity issues with the 7200 on a 92" Firehawk. After spending time with a very honest Stewart rep at CEDIA, I know much more about the Firehawk's tendency to hot-spot with smaller screen sizes and/or bright projectors. He personally recommended the Greyhawk for anything under 105". at least with the 7200.

Did Bob Williams ever get back to you? Just curious...

JOHN
John,

as you remember I originally returned my 7200 because it was very loud. I also noticed a huge bright spot on my 92" and light flickering. While being checked for noise, I asked Infocus to also check on the uniformity and the condition of the bulb. They did not. Days after they sent it back, I got a "change lamp" message...obviously the flickering was a bad sign. Anyway, the hot spot may have been entirely due to the 1.3 gain screen in combination with the 92" size, but I guess I will never know because Infocus does not recognize brightness uniformity as a parameter that they are willing to specify and guarantee. Needless to say, I have returned my 7200 for a full refund. Bob Williams did not have the decency to reply, ever. I guess he is more interested in participating when there is opportunity to market his products!!:confused:

John, you have always been helpful and understanding of my situation. I would like to donate a free ND filter (brand new) for you to try. It would be on me, it may be helpful to you. I no longer need it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My advice for what its worth is stay with the firehawk and use low power till your bulb dims then high power for the rest of its life. I have 110" firehawk in completely light controlled room. I put 900 hrs on first bulb. !st 350 or so on low power rest on high power. For other reasons system was swapped out by IF and new one had NEW bulb. Much brighter than old one. So I believe that these bulbs "wane" over the life and brightness will always be "evolving". Just my 2 cents.

Paul

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keyser
I´m getting an IF 5700 and will probably have it 106" in a light controlled room. I was planning on getting a Da-Lite HCCV(or a projecta high contrast, if that´s excactly the same like the dealer here in Iceland told me?). BUT I see that the 5700 has two lamp options, 220w and 250w. I´ll go for the 220w one because of the 3k life, but is it much dimmer, will it be to dim for that screen(I´m asuming the 1k lum spec is with the 250w)?

I can place the projector from 14,4 to 16,5feet(the length of my room) for an 106" image. Is it better having it as close as possible or as far away as possible, and how much lower from the ceiling will the top of the image be than the projector(which will be ceiling mounted)?
LOL! The 5700 will never be mistaken for "dim" at any bulb setting (btw, I'm not laughing at you, but at the possibility that the 5700 could be mistaken for dim by anyone who has seen one). The HCCV will work fine, if you are not obsessed with getting deep blacks. We had the 5700 on a 119" neutral gain screen and the blacks were still not as deep as say, the 7200. But wow, what a bright punchy image! My opinion is that the 5700 should be paired with a HC Da-Mat. We had some Da-Lite screen samples at the shootout and it delievered the best compromise between brightness and black level, imo.

Of course, if you just plain prefer brightness the HCCV should be fine.

Generally speaking, the projector should be placed further from the screen to prevent hot spotting. Don't get too uptight about this - the difference is not exactly dramatic.

Calculators for distance and offset are at the Infocus Screenplay site.

JOHN

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shumi_9
John,

as you remember I originally returned my 7200 because it was very loud. I also noticed a huge bright spot on my 92" and light flickering. While being checked for noise, I asked Infocus to also check on the uniformity and the condition of the bulb. They did not. Days after they sent it back, I got a "change lamp" message...obviously the flickering was a bad sign. Anyway, the hot spot may have been entirely due to the 1.3 gain screen in combination with the 92" size, but I guess I will never know because Infocus does not recognize brightness uniformity as a parameter that they are willing to specify and guarantee. Needless to say, I have returned my 7200 for a full refund. Bob Williams did not have the decency to reply, ever. I guess he is more interested in participating when there is opportunity to market his products!!:confused:

John, you have always been helpful and understanding of my situation. I would like to donate a free ND filter (brand new) for you to try. It would be on me, it may be helpful to you. I no longer need it.
Hey, thanks for the very generous offer! I will probably take you up on it, since I have been unable to locate a proper ND filter here in town.

That's too bad about InFocus. You wonder why some have great experiences (like me) and others have bad (like you). Didn't your dealer "take it to the top"?

Good luck with your SIM (I think that's what you said you settled on). I just picked up the line and am looking to learn more about it. I know it's considered to be in the league of the Marantz when it comes to blacks and such.

THANKS!!!

JOHN

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
angilasaurus,

thanks for the advice. If I remember correctly the Da-Mat doesn´t have as good view angles as the HCCV, some of my seats are close and at an angle. Do projecta have the Da-Mat material for a fixed display?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keyser
angilasaurus,

thanks for the advice. If I remember correctly the Da-Mat doesn´t have as good view angles as the HCCV, some of my seats are close and at an angle. Do projecta have the Da-Mat material for a fixed display?
HC Da-mat - 40 degrees, HC Cinema Vision 45 degrees. You should be ok either way.

JOHN

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am another happy customer with the Da-Lite HCCV screen - 106" diagonal. I have not seen this projector on a FireHawk so I cannot compare the two. My old screen was a Video Spectra 1.5 gain screen. This was a bad match for a projector this bright. The lower gain HCCV is much better from a video noise and black level perspective.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.