AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided on the NEC VT540 among it and the LT150 and Santo PLC-XP18/21N. The fomer is way too dark and inconvenient, and the latter 2 are way too expensive around here.

So anyway, back to the original question...what kind of screen should I get for the VT540? The source will be a HTPC and the viewing environment will have some ambient sunlight, but curtains will be used, even though I don't think it'll block off all the sunlight. Should I use a high gain, matte or gray screen?

·
Registered
115 Posts
the vt540's black level greatly improves with a grey screen. I built a DIY screen for mine for about $50. I tried 6 different shades of paint, from bright white, to dark grey. I painted sections of the screen and then tested. I went as dark grey as I could get before it started to really impact the whites. I would think my gain is probably in the area of 0.85-0.9 or so. I have complete control of ambient light, so I can get away with a gain this low. If you have less ambient light control, you are going to find that the image will be washed out a little. Everyone here appears to love the stewart Greyhawk, but it is very expensive compared to a DIY solution.

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ssangste. I plan to have a local screen manufacturer take care of the screen. I saw their catalog with samples and IIRC they had a gray screen with a rather high gain. The surface was smooth and grayish(pretty dark actually).

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Grayhawk vastly improved my picture(LT155) which is similar to the 540. Highly recommend a Gray screen.Grayhawk is .95 gain.

Scott

·
Registered
206 Posts
What aspect ratio screens are you using? I would like to get a 16:9 screen, but the light hitting the wall outside the screen may be annoying. Anyone doing this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XrayEyes:
What aspect ratio screens are you using? I would like to get a 16:9 screen, but the light hitting the wall outside the screen may be annoying. Anyone doing this?
The general concensus is to get a screen that matches your PJ's aspect ratio since that's the absolute largest amount of screen you can cover (without an ISCO). The zoom on the 540 isn't enough to squeeze a 4:3 box into the middle of a 16:9 screen without relocating the projector. Mask the rest of the screen during 16:9 and 2.35:1 playback, and you'll be quite happy.

------------------

Darren Rogers

NEC VT540 & HTPC in my stealth theather

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to have a 16:9 screen of around 100" diagonal.

btw, I've also decided to include the Panasonic PT-L711U from the glowing review that Honcho gave it. I'll demo it tomorrow and see how it is...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.