AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finalizing some of my screen wall dimensions prior to drywalling and wanted to get some opinions on mounting the screen.

Here is a side view of my screen wall as it's currently designed:

I had planned on setting the screen (AT SeymourAV) into the wall for two reasons:

1) to minimize reflected light from the screen to the surrounding theater (I'd be covering the surrounding surfaces with velvet)

2) to maximize the viewing distance (total HT depth is about 19'6")

As I'm getting closer to actually building this, I'm second guessing some of the reasoning.

Should I just make a flat screen wall maybe 28" or so from the back wall? Is there truly a benefit to setting the screen into the wall?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Personally if you are already pushing the wall surrounding the screen forward, you might as well put the screen all the way forward and go acoustically transparent. I think insetting it that far makes the screen look small and takes away from the visual impact.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For a flat wall, does it look OK just to have a giant wall of GOM with the screen mounted proud of the wall? Whatever frame I use (probably wood covered in Seymour's velvet) would probably be 1" thick at least.

Doing the flat wall would be easier to build and cover, as well as providing a bit more clearance between the LCR's and the screen. I just wonder if it would look to "plain".

Honestly though, I'd rather sacrifice a bit of "lights on" aesthetics for a better "lights off" viewing experience.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,582 Posts
If you search on the term Shadowbox you should find some theaters with a recessed screen. It is one strategy to conserve room length but still hide your speakers. BritinVA theater is one example.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,582 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Either option is good, but you will be amazed at how much light doesn't get reflected back into the room if you use the shadow box technique along with a good velvet.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My screen is similar to the Bethesda build in that my screen has no border, the black velvet panels surounding the screen are the border:

This is called 'Premier Velvet' from JoAnn Fabrics, who frequently offer 50% off coupons. SeymourAV material stretched over an aluminum frame. Total depth of the "false wall" is only 6 inches (using InWall LCRs).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice and photos. If I go with the flat wall then I'm going to have to re-think my screen frame design. When it's inset, the frame profile really doesn't matter. When it's sitting proud of the wall, is both visible and "touchable" to anyone who comes and checks it out. The 80/20 material is very appealing due to its ease of assembly, but I may stick with wood in order to get the profile I'm looking for (more of a wedge, like what SeymourAV offers).

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd like to re-open this discussion please. Looking at a shadow box for the 117" Stewart GT130 2.35 going in my room. My question is, how far can you inset the screen and not lose part of the image on angled viewing? With very little side displacement on a seating position at 15', I would think that could quickly become a problem. I like that fact that you are preventing light spill and I also like that the screen is protected somewhat. Opinions? Pictures?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is an option I have been considering for some time as I want to maximize my HT length. The question is the one you asked, how far can you recess/inset the screen. I have seen theaters with the inset screen and they look good, I just cannot tell how far they are inset.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfann  /t/1356109/screen-wall-inset-screen-or-not#post_22250472

I'd like to re-open this discussion please. Looking at a shadow box for the 117" Stewart GT130 2.35 going in my room. My question is, how far can you inset the screen and not lose part of the image on angled viewing? With very little side displacement on a seating position at 15', I would think that could quickly become a problem. I like that fact that you are preventing light spill and I also like that the screen is protected somewhat. Opinions? Pictures?

Thanks,

John

The only way to determine this (losing part of the image) is to do the math on the layout/dimensions and figure our your sight lines.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202  /t/1356109/screen-wall-inset-screen-or-not#post_22250609

This is an option I have been considering for some time as I want to maximize my HT length. The question is the one you asked, how far can you recess/inset the screen. I have seen theaters with the inset screen and they look good, I just cannot tell how far they are inset.

Anyone?

I've seen them anywhere from about 4 inches (fabric wrapped 2x4), all the way up to a framed 18 inches. I'm sure there have been other designs with even deeper insets, but none that I have visited so I can't comment on how they looked. It is a design choice, and a limitation on room dimensions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.