AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I'm still bouncing between display technologies.

On the short...at BB over the weekend, through the "loop" there was the trailer for Stealth. Several times there was screendoor...one very obvious is the angle is front top of plane then pans to right under wing from rear perspective, the weapons array drops down...all of the weapons array is screendoor.

I thought most of the plasma display processors were fast enough to avoid this. Now this entire sequence is CGI, so was it really the plasma or the screendoor actually exists from the CGI process and is on the source material.

I watch this happen on the Pan 50X and the on the Pio 504. I didn't see it on the Aquos 45 D5

I had drifted back to the Plasma and was just getting ready to buy the Pan TH-50PHD7UY...but now.....

The long part of looking...

HD-ILA on paper seems to be the best tech for the monies, big screen, low cost (relative), three color method...but real world too noisy and PQ just ain't there

DLP the Mits Diamond 62 has great picture rivals, some cases beats, that of plasma, great price, big screen, silicon based "moving" parts...doesn't appeal to my sense of longevity

Plasma, power hog, cost to screen size a bit high, again cost to 1080p (if ever soon) will be too great.

LCoS...please!!!!!, yes it's a direct cousin to HD-ILA but what a weak picture

"direct" LCD RP, ...somewhere over the rainbow... and thanks for the delayed lip sync

All FP...what's up with the light halo that lights up the room

LCD panel, first me and Sony don't get along (all Sony products I''ve had in the past have been utter disapointments, cost, almost all have failed within 3 months). Only exception (at the moment) seems to be the Aquos 45 G(X)6U

My what a rant...but the base of my decision somewhat relies on the past. Even if it was kinda the "top" end of the 4:3 tv's of the past, say $850, these things have lasted 10 years easy. So that's $85 per year of life....now looking at any of these techs (without real world proof they last 10 years) at $500, $600, $700 per year of 10 year life, it gets a bit hard to put your money into one of these things.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Screen door effect is from large pixels being viewed from a short distance. From your description, it seems that you're noticing MPEG compression artifacts, not screen door.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standing about 8' back eye level to center, the effect happened off center up and down about 6"x9" total in size and was the brightest part of those particular frames. The effect part changed and moved in context to the rest of the frame as the frames changed, didn't "stumble" like an artifact(s). The effect was several 1/8" in approx size of squares like a screendoor view

·
Registered
670 Posts
Fast moving or changing scenes can look like small squares where there should be smooth motion or transitions when high mpeg compression is used. I still think what you saw was from that, and probably not the fault of the displays. Without actually being there with you, even with your detailed description, I can only guess at what you are seeing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well..given if it was mpeg comp... would that conclude MAYBE that the Aquos 45 has a faster display processor?

·
Registered
767 Posts
You did not see a screendoor effect...The effect is like looking at the display thru a screendoor , all the little pixel squares are apparent. What you saw is probably motion artifacts, or blur. Probably because the loop was recorded and not an original. You really want to see what SDE looks like, look at a Samsung or Akai display, they are notorious for that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.