AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this is one of the bigger tradeoffs in selecting a projector. Nearly all the units I'm considering either suffer from some level of screendoor on a big screen (Sanyo PLV60, etc.) or have largely managed to squash the screendoor but are 4:3 (Sanyo XP21N, Hitachi SX5500W).

From what I've read, the Cygnus IMX lens should solve the screendoor problem for $900 with moderately little hassle. (Unless I've missed some problems with that lens.) Adapting from 4:3 to 16:9, though, sounds trickier and/or more expensive.

So it would seem that (all else being equal, which it never is), I'd be better off getting a 16:9 projector like the PLV-60 and adding a lens to make the screendoor problem go away, rather than getting a 4:3 projector like the XP21N and getting a lens to go to 16:9.

Does this make any sense?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'm planning on solving the 16:9 problem using a Panamorph with my Boxlight 38T (Sanyo XP21N clone). That way I can have a setup that will work native for both 4:3 (Panamorph slid to the side on the rails) and 16:9, Panamorph engaged.

That is, if my Panamorph actually gets delivered! If not, back to the old drawing boards, $868 poorer.

Dan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
When watching wide screen material on a 1366x768 16:9 projector you have 1,380,864 more pixels being used to present the picture when compared to a XGA 4:3 projector which is actually 1024x575 when presenting widescreen content centered in the middle of a 4:3 panel. In other words for the same screen size the pixel size on a 16:9 projector is smaller. The smaller the pixel the harder they are to see. According to the review on thebigpicturedvd the Sanyo PLV-60HT has visible pixel only at close range and is invisible at normal viewing distances.

Lenny Eckian

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 10-12-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.