AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When viewing DVD scenes with small bright images on dark backgrounds (like a night scene with a cars headlights) I'm getting bright horizontal blue streaks that originate from the headlights and spread all across the screen. I also see it during the Can Can scene in Moulon Rouge. I'm using a Sony NS999ES DVD player with component connections feeding the 7200 a 720p signal.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is this just an inherent DLP problem or a problem with my pj?

Thanks,

jeh

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Try feeding the projector with an interlaced signal (480i instead of 480p).

It's pretty safe to assume that the de-interlacing ability of the projector is better than that of the DVD player.

Try it and see what happens.

Andreas

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andreas, I'll give it a try. However, the reviews I've read on this NS999ES DVD player (Sony's newest flagship player) give extremely high marks to the on-board scaller.

jeh

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the NS999ES DVD player with the 7200. The progressive mode is noticeably better on the DVD player than the projector. I find the combination excellent and have not experienced the problem you are experiencing.

Mark Warr

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Do you see these streaks using a television? The reason I am asking is that bright blue streaks are a common side effect of anamorphicly filmed movies, and are a type of lens flare in the source material.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bob. I'll check it out when I'm home this weekend. My only TVs are analog so I won't be able to test the progressive feed. I saw a lot of these streaks watching the latest release of Thelma and Louise.

jeh

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hehe, I was just watching "Devil's own" (I know, not that good) and during a dark scene somebody enters the dark room with a flashlight and lo and behold, BLUE STREAKS!

Don't worry my friend, they're from the source material NOT your projector!

Bob was right as usual!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right again Bob. I tried the same DVDs on an analog TV with a non-progressive player and all the same blue streaks were there in the same places. Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.