AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Magnavox 27" attracts dust to the screen like a magnet. Clean it and turn it on and off a few times and the screen's covered with dust after one day. Our other TV 36" Samsung attracts no dust to the screen, even after weeks. Could the grounding be different? :confused:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You might try wiping a used dryer sheet on the screen after you wipe the screen clean with a warm, slightly damp towel.

My grandmother taught me this trick and it works like a charm to keep dust off for a least a week or two at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you or anyone else at your residence smokers? If so, it'll be next to impossible to keep the screen clean. I know from experience (I'm currently a non-smoker but it wasn't always that way.) Televisions create an electromagnetic field which smoke adheres to very easily.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The computer monitor to the computer my mom uses gets pretty dirty after a few days. Then I'd clean it and that will increase the brightness about 15%. She also smokes at the computer, and when she takes a puff, she blows it at the screen. Our TV, which, you know by now, is a piece of CRAP, gets pretty dusty all the time. Hope that dust collects inside and causes it to break down so we'll have to buy a new TV. :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'll try the dryer sheet fix. We are non smokers so that's not a problem. Also the computer monitor (21" Nokia) has never been a problem.

·
Registered
22,167 Posts
Also.... you could try "Static Guard" glass cleaner (NOT the regular Static guard!!)

Haven't used it for a while, but they did make it at one time. Available at your local 'Piggely Wiggley'!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cthugar
Are you or anyone else at your residence smokers? If so, it'll be next to impossible to keep the screen clean. I know from experience (I'm currently a non-smoker but it wasn't always that way.) Televisions create an electromagnetic field which smoke adheres to very easily.
Our televisions always attract dust and no one here is a smoker and none ever visit.

Hoever, we recently removed the carpeting from the living room and are using the harwood floors which were under the carpet. Much less dust now.

So I suspect carpeting can be a major source.

Phil

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A dryer sheet is an anti-static device attached to the fibers of a cloth. I believe it is some type of nano technology. But it sure makes those clothes less clingy. They are a bit pricey, but you might find they are within your budget.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A "dryer sheet" is really a fabric softener sheet with static control. Those of us who do laundry would toss one of these little sheets in the dryer with our wet clothes and they would come out soft, fluffy and static-free. Typical products are Bounce and Cling-Free, and are available at a nominal charge in the laundry detergent section of your local grocery store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.