AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4:3 NTSC TV right now for my "Home Theater". In the future, in order of most likely first, I may go with a RP HDTV, or an LCD display or a Plasma display, all 16:9. Center speaker placement interests me. I could also get a projector instead. here is my question;

Are there any screens which are acoustically transparent and allow mounting the center speaker, smack dab in the center of the screen, BEHIND the screen of course? I don't think there are, but you never know, I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
904 Posts
well, I suppose "acoustically transparent" is a debatable term (considering how many debates there are on even power cables), but they do make perforated screens that are said to be transparent. one example is stewart's "microperf". They do not reflect as much light (i think they are 5% less than their conterparts) because of the small holes in the screen. This is what commercial theaters use, the front speakers are always behind the screen.

jake

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks. Thats interesting. I wonder if anyone here uses one and whether they in fact put their center speakers BEHIND the screen?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Doing a search on "microperf" in the screens section yielded this thread and many others. Short answer is: yes, people put their speakers behind their perforated screens. :)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
The matter is a two sided batch of trade-offs and arguments. There are some minor acoustical issues to deal with when placing a speaker behind a "microperf" or similar screen, but I have been told that the microperf screens from Stewart minimize the problems. Others may know of other good acoustically transparent screens. As noted above, it is regularly argued that the perforations cause the image quality to suffer. With many CRTs with limited light output I'm sure this is of concern. With new, higher output projectors I would presume this to be a diminishing issue.

While there is an effect on the image relative to the best available from a solid screen, there is also a wonderful acoustic effect related to very tight correllation to the sound source and the screen image. Some have raved about the value of this benefit, and others are less impressed. I myself haven't had a chance to do any good comparison as of yet, but plan to in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.