Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What is your recommendation on a screen for a BD808 ?

The only screen manufacturers that I see pop up here and there is Stewart and Da-Lite. Are there other brands that are worht looking at ?

At the moment I use a DIY screen which isn't so bad but then again I have nothing to compare too.

Some recommends a 1.5 gain and others strongly suggest 1.3 screens.

Some use curved screens to overcome the colorshift of high gain screens.

Don't have the "know how" / tools to make a curved screen so that is out of the question so what do you recommend ?

How about hotspotting, is it an issue on e.g. Stewart Studiotek 130 ?

Also, what are the price on Stewart screens, can't see any info about that on their site. 95" widescreen is the size I'm using.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
153 Posts
I looked at the Forum on screens, but most of that discussion appears to be directed at screens for LCD/DLP type projectors. What screens are good for CRT projectors? Do the same principles apply for CRT projectors?

Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not a screen expert, but I can tell you that much: I made my own as per instructions posted in this Forum and I'm quite happy with it. Kal had a very good posting about building your own screen.

Of course, if you need something special, like pull-down, motorized, or perforated screen, you're better off looking for a manufactured one. But for my needs, wall mounted fixed screen is perfect. And why should I spend some $2000 for something I can make for less than $100 (which is not worse at all, when done properly)?

Besides, I made my screen in 2:1 aspect ratio and am really satisfied with this choice. But this is another story altogether. If you are interested, I'll give you a link to some older posting explaining that.

Regards,

Leszek.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm quite happy with my DIY screen but as always in this hobby, can it be improved lets check it out :)

So if a 95" WS screen is e.g. $2000 from Stewart then it's not an alternative at the moment but if it's less then it might be interesting if the result justifies the price.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a 1.5 and 1.3 gain flat screen with my NEC XG. Then I built a curved 52x92 screen and the difference is incredible. I recently saw the same XG on a flat 1.3 gain screen and it could not compare. Everything looked better on the curved screen. If you can, build a curved screen!

In a few days I will be looking at a 50 inch Vutec curved screen as a material sample for their HD5200. I'm a bit weary of the 13+ plus gain on this surface. If things look better then my curved, I may just get the 5200HD.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Curved screens create problems of their own, and a well made flat screen will look just as good...and better, as it relates to overall focus and geometry.

If you can paint (or know someone who can...even pay a painter) get some "Screengoo".

Then adhere a 1/4" thick 4x8 sheet of smooth pressboard to a hardwood 1X2 frame. (smooth pressboard looks like pegboard without the holes) Shoot a couple coats of Kilz, then Screengoo primer, then the reflective coat. Makes an outstanding screen for about $200.

If you need something bigger than 85X48 (16X9) then adhere two pieces side-by-side (up to 96" width) Make sure you have a vertical frame runner centered in the frame, this gives the center seam of both pieces something to adhere to, and fill the center seam with Bondo's All Purpose Putty...use just enough to fill the seam, sand it lightly, then skin coat it once more...give it a day to dry, and lightly block sand seam again. If this is done right, you will not be able to tell where the seam is once the paint goes on.

Another tip, cut the pressboard larger than the frame, then, once the pressboard is adhered to the frame, just run a router around the frame to trim the access pressboard to the frame's exact size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.