AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I missed it but I haven't found any discussion on a screensaver feature for plasma's. Seems like a great idea to prevent possible burn-in issue. Is this viable or waste of time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
We will definitely be using our plasma as a screen show for fun during parties and stuff. That is part of the concept of "wall art."

Pioneer and others are waking up to this concept, their new boxes support digital image cards and viewers. If their solution is not workable, we will be plugging in a laptop with screen saver.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My Hitachi Plasma has a Screensaver Function that shifts the entire picture by two pixels every 20, 40, or 60 minutes. It also has a 10 minute Screen Wipe funtion that you can use if you see any screen burn-in. I have not had to use this feature so I don't know how well it works. Hopefully I won't have to find out.

If you watch lots of 4:3 material on a plasma, it's best to use one of the 4:3 stretch modes. They keep the center of the image intact and stretch just the very ends of the picture. It actually works very well on my set.

I believe most Plasma sets out probably have some sort of screensaver mode to prevent burn-in. Let's hear from other Plasma owners about this!

-Mike.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote:
who wants a screensaver to come on while your watching tv? what circumstance would need a screensaver?
Haha...good point. I guess what I was thinking was something like if you go do something and forget the TV on some non moving image that could cause burn in. I guess it would be kind of crappy if it kicked in while watching a movie. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by itstime98
who wants a screensaver to come on while your watching tv? what circumstance would need a screensaver?
You are thinking about a COMPUTER SCREENSAVER! This is totally different! Hitachi's Screensaver shifts the entire picture by two pixels every 20 minutes or so. You don't actually SEE this happening with the naked eye.

For example, if you watch a lot of CBS or ABC, you don't want the network logo permanently burned into your screen. Selecting the Screensaver function will shift the entire picture in minute increments. The shifting of the picture is small enough (2 pixels every 20, 40, or 60 minutes) that you don't really notice this with the naked eye.

-Mike

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
HX_Guy

The Pioneer HDE models already have an 'auto off' function - you set them to display an on-screen message after a pre set time to warn you its going to turn off in five minutes if you dont hit a button on the remote.

Best regards

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.