AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marissadad has posted that the Z2 VB is especially apparent in the fog scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean.

I shot the worst scene I could find. I posted the full screen width at 1024 pixels and an enlarged section from it at

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/n1dcmc78/screen.htm

I'd be curious to know if others find their machine better or worse.

Incidentally, I have not altered my Service Menu setting. Other are claiming values in the range 0-35 for #14? Mine is in the low eighties! What gives. Firmware 1.01 BTW.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
wow, that looks horrible. I can now see what people are talking about when they comment on their Z2s having bad VB.

For the record, specifically aimed at the newbs on here, my Z2 doesn't have a VB problem like that.

Oh and no way you should lower setting #14 to that low especially if you haven't adjusted 13 and 15.

I agree with Zed...see what factory setting 14 is at and if it 3 or higher then lower it to 2 or 0.

·
Registered
971 Posts
That's about what mine looks like with Factory #14 at 3 (maybe a little worse). #14 was set to 2 out of the box, I only changed it to see the effect. At 2, you really have to look for it.

RG

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
And here I thought everyone who was complaining about VB was just nitpicking....

On mine it would be a difficult task to pick out any VB without someone pointing it out to you. In fact a while ago I tried to make the VB worse on my PJ by adjusting #14 in the service menu..... I did get it to show up alot more but even then it wasnt as bad as in this screenshot.

I hope those settings tame your VB for you!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My VB is not bad at all. And my setting for #14 in the service menus is, I repeat, up in the eighties!!! Where in hades are these small #'s people are posting coming from?

I am actually very happy. VB is only seldom visible at all. Most folks post screenshots to show how great the PJs look. This one is the exact opposite.

Until I see some screenshots to the contrary, I believe this is pretty "average" for the Z2.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My VB wasn't bad at all and got better when I noticed that I wasn't sending a progressive signal from my DVD player to the PJ (my Panasonic DVD actually has a button you need to push to send a progressive signal, is this standard?)

That and I put better quality cables (Bluejean) in the system, would that make a difference.

I've not made any changes to my factory settings. I've been to busy watching stuff and don't want to take the time!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, $100 projector, or a $10K projector, that is an unacceptable picture for any amount of money. Whether it be slight or not for your particular application, if VB is consistant across the Z2 then how can anyone sell something like that, and why would anyone buy something that produces that?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I looked last night.

"Service Menu" item #14 was up in the eighties! Possible I made a mistake . . . it HAS happened before but . . .

I just don't see how people can all have theirs in the zero to 3 range!

Is there an additional menu I haven't found yet?

Incidentally, from a post here I tried to access the service menu by pressing Menu and Select simultaneously. It does not work on my machine that way. Pressing "Menu" and holding it for 30 seconds gets you to the Service Menu.

No one has posted a sceenshot of VB before? Why not? Come on. Let's see some!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Umm. my vertical banding looks NOTHING like that. Not even close. I can make it look like that if I mess around with the factory or service settings, but its a night and day difference in comparison.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dawziecat
But I looked last night.

"Service Menu" item #14 was up in the eighties! Possible I made a mistake . . . it HAS happened before but . . .

I just don't see how people can all have theirs in the zero to 3 range!

Is there an additional menu I haven't found yet?

Incidentally, from a post here I tried to access the service menu by pressing Menu and Select simultaneously. It does not work on my machine that way. Pressing "Menu" and holding it for 30 seconds gets you to the Service Menu.

No one has posted a sceenshot of VB before? Why not? Come on. Let's see some!
Service menu is in the 80's, FACTORY menu is what you want to adjust in the 0 to 3 range. Get to the factory service menu by holding down INPUT and SELECT.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I imagine the camera probably enchances the effect a little (or at least I hope so!).

And always make sure you are in the right menu when changing settings (Factory or Service). Almost everyones #14 value is in the 80's when you go through the service menu so yours is pretty normal in that respect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for posting the screen shot. Now I know how bad it can get and can feel sorry for those with this problem. Being a newbie I wasn't sure what to look for and was wasting time looking for the worst. There appears to be none on mine even during the start of the Pirates in the Caribbean.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baddceo
I don't care what anyone says, $100 projector, or a $10K projector, that is an unacceptable picture for any amount of money. Whether it be slight or not for your particular application, if VB is consistant across the Z2 then how can anyone sell something like that, and why would anyone buy something that produces that?
well, not are like that, and the ones that are can still be adjusted.

it's still better than seeing rainbows. now that ruins the enjoyment of a movie. especially after shelling out close to 10k.

whatever you buy will have SOME issues.

choose your poison.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My VB was worse than that at 2. Moving it to 0 made it about half of what the screen shot shows.

rlindo, what is setting 13 & 15? And why should 14 not be adjusted before those?

Thanks, maybe I can get rid of mine totally if I only understood all these fangdangled register settings!

Why in the heck did they make these things so the Factory mode can be entered in about 5 seconds, but the Service mode takes 30? I guess I'm not waiting long enough for the Service mode because I've only made it in there one time, I always give up thinking it's not working.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK. I'll give that a try tonight. No wonder I could not get to it.

Still, I remain pretty nonplussed at the reaction here. I hope you are all familiar with this scene from "Pirates." It is dark and dull because it is supposed to be in fog after all!

It does not look bad to me at all but the VB is certainly visible here. In reality I rarely see it. Does the camera "accentuate it?" I don't think so. In fact it only becomes intrusive when the camera is panning and a still shot does not show that.

I'd STILL like some other folks to try screen shots of their PJs on the same scene.

I'll post back after trying to tweak the settings. If the VB goes "away," I'll be ecstatic.

If it doesn't, I'm still a happy camper. Remember, that shot shows the PJ at its worst . . .that was the intent.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.