AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Check my gallery. Also calibrated by William.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Screen shots are bogus. all you are evaluating with a screen shot is the quality of the camera and the computer monitor. You can't tell anything with a screen shot on line unless there is a major problem like lines or geometric problems and so forth.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You may check mine as well. Also William Phelps calibrated.

I agree that screenshota are useless uless they are not high dynamic range(HDR). Standard JPEG has 8 bit per channel. Somebody may think this is quite enough (e.g. MrWigggles sometime ago told me "I will remind you that 8-bit RGB is 16.8 million colors"). But 8 bit per channel mean only 256 tonal gradations. Taking into account that HT projectors have much bigger dynamic range, you have to have a camera with at least 12 bit precision, possibility of RAW format outputiing (the most cameras of that class have it), use special HDR format for store pictures and special viewers to view them.

You may also export HDR image to 8 bit per channel JPEG, using non-limear mapping of dynamic range from it's oruginal dynamic range to 0..255. Then you may make some judgement comparing resulted image on the PC screen to the image of software DVD player on the same PC screen.

Below is an example:

HT-1000 (originally posted by crumpet, typical screenshot):
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...Element_3_.jpg

direct capture (originally posted by crumpet):
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508/69209fe_4same_.jpg

HX-1, optimized by William Phelps.

The picture's dynamic range was brought to standard JPEG 8 bit/channel using non-linear mapping from 12-bit range RAW format (originally posted by me):

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/508...lement_-_1.jpg

As you can see, screenshot which taken by typical way, lost all details in dark areas (vent pipe surface) and about to have crashing whites (Leeloo's chin and lip).

Note added: I can't guarantee I have exactly the same frame as was posted by crumpet. The most likely it is not, just close one

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorus
Yes, exactly. He came down from a mountain one day holding a Qualia in one arm, and a G90 in the other.
He actually came down with an HD2K vs a Qualia in one arm ;)

The bottom line is William can improve a projector dramatically through optimization (calibration plus lots more). The value far outweighs the cost.

As to the original post, check out the user galleries but I seem to remember lots of shots in the screen forum. I never took them before I traded up (to the aforementioned other "tablet"

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys for your input

I think William Phelps's tuning is very appropriate for "normal" screens. Once you play with cinemascope screen, ISCO lens and microperforation, and enough screen size, you'd be amazed at the black the HX1 can yield...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Digital2004
thanks guys for your input

I think William Phelps's tuning is very appropriate for "normal" screens. Once you play with cinemascope screen, ISCO lens and microperforation, and enough screen size, you'd be amazed at the black the HX1 can yield...
See, the black level is not only parameter defining PQ. Proper tonal gradations and proper color balance in dark or bright areas are even more important. A good black level with crashing blacks worth nothing, but proper gradations in dark areas will look good enough even with not perfect level of black, as our brain adapts to it (proper screen's masking helps a lot of for such adaptation).

The projector optimization improves not only the black level, but the color balance curve for gradations of gray (D65) and the gamma curve. Improvement of those parameters gives much better PQ even with the same level of black.

·
Registered
897 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.