AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I have my woofers and my mdf and my screws and t nuts. I have screwed them all in, but have not tightened them as completely as they can be. But I am concerned that if I do tighten them more, it could cause problems to the woofer or mdf. Is this a concern, or should I just tighten them as much as possible?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you are gong to remove them a few times the mdf will become soft and fall apart, you have to put in some t-nuts.... if you can put them in from the back side in first, then use some 8-32 machine screws.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I read your post too fast and didn't notice the word 't-nut'.

Then you should be okay..you are not screwing into the mdf but into the tnut..so there's nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Bloody good show mate, now that is what I should have done with the DIY JBL4645 sub enclosure, thou I’ve had the sub unscrewed more times than most of you had hot dinners, and it still screws up tightly, but the (T nuts) is spot on.

Allen key type screws as its faster to unscrew as it is to screw up.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14218294

Bloody good show mate, now that is what I should have done with the DIY JBL4645 sub enclosure, thou I've had the sub unscrewed more times than most of you had hot dinners, and it still screws up tightly, but the (T nuts) is spot on.

Allen key type screws as its faster to unscrew as it is to screw up.

Allen head (or square head) is the only way to go. Phillips increases the slippage risk too much. A screwdriver to the surround will ruin anyone's day!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm...after screwing them really tightly, there was one screw on each of my woofers that kept screwing, and the rubber ring around the woofer is looser by them...like I screwed through it or something...has me somewhat concerned...

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/14218384

Allen head (or square head) is the only way to go. Phillips increases the slippage risk too much. A screwdriver to the surround will ruin anyone's day!

Agreed, r1 or r2 are my favs (square, diff sizes) for just about everything.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE /forum/post/14218422

Agreed, r1 or r2 are my favs (square, diff sizes) for just about everything.

This is a bit off, but you know what bugs me for some dumb reason, Torx. T10, T15 ect... Why can't they use Allen? Oh well.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/14218164

If you are gong to remove them a few times the mdf will become soft and fall apart, you have to put in some t-nuts.... if you can put them in from the back side in first, then use some 8-32 machine screws.

Thanks so much for posting that photo. I searched for that technique a month ago and found the results but I'm sure this will help anyone who will be doing a driver install.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts /forum/post/14218396

hmm...after screwing them really tightly, there was one screw on each of my woofers that kept screwing, and the rubber ring around the woofer is looser by them...like I screwed through it or something...has me somewhat concerned...

when using t-nuts i try to leave the back panel off until i am done. Problem might be that you knocked the back of the t-nut off and to be sure i think you must take the driver out and check. But personally I don't like t-nuts with MDF because i can never get a perfect line up and this causes me to have at least one nut not biting into 100% mdf.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:

Agree (Allen square head) the Allen key fits like snug just like a glove.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

Quote:

Screwdriver hole will just make it sound like it's powered with a tube amp

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I use hurricane nuts,I prefer them to the t-nuts. When installed using a screw type clamp,the fit is perfect each time.

I installed 15 drivers and had ZERO problems with a misaligned nut.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Those look awesome...thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/14219572

I use hurricane nuts,I prefer them to the t-nuts. When installed using a screw type clamp,the fit is perfect each time.

I installed 15 drivers and had ZERO problems with a misaligned nut.

This is a hurricane nut :

This is a t-nut

My question is...Why do you prefer the hurricane nut?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The hurricane nut bites better and sets itself in the wood as you tighten the screw. The t-nut uses those little prongs, and they tend to bend over and let go when tightened. T nuts were good when the hurricane nut was not available, but they now seem to have been surpassed.

Good luck,

Robert

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The tines on the t-nut also tend to break chops off the mdf on the outer edge if you don't get it just right. I'm sure most people have great luck with them, but I have struggled, so for me the Hurricane nut seems like it would be much better.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I drill tiny holes where the tines go... and put a dap of construction adhesive in the main hole before I install them. Never had any issues with them.Although I can see where you guys would prefer the hurricane nut.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The hurricane nut is a definite upgrade from the t-nut. I had the blades on two t-nuts cut bend ,the bolt's head has to be cut with a Dremel to remove the driver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts