AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my cinematic guilty pleasures, Richard Donner's twisted comedy Scrooged, will make its Blu-ray debut with a November 1, 2011 release date.

Scrooged is based on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol and stars Bill Murray as Frank Cross, a heartless television studio president whose heinous acts of selfishness make him due a visit from a trio of persuasive Christmas Ghosts. The film was originally released in 1988 and co-stars Carol Kane, Alfre Woodard, Karen Allen, and John Forsythe.

Paramount is releasing Scrooged on Blu-ray with some flavor of 5.1 audio (most likely DTS-HD Master Audio), 1080p video, and a lone bonus feature: the theatrical trailer. Apparently Scrooged isn't big enough of a property to justify whipping together a retrospective featurette or commentary track

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
This, Christmas Vacation and The Ref, best three Xmas movies of all time. Day one purchase for me.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Day 1 purchase for me as I don't have a copy of this movie in any format. Great, great movie and possibly Bill Murray's best!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I think this can make a serious case for being the best version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I'm all over this.

Karen Allen at last year's DragonCom (who was the sweetest, most unaffected person imaginable) said she had good memories of the shoot, but Bill Murray drove everyone nuts by constantly rewriting the dialogue. He would wake her up at night talking about changes and motivation and stuff. (Plus, for some reason she noticed me in the crowd and gave me a big smile.) Murray used to have a low opinion of the movie (shared, it is true, by a great many people); I hope he has mellowed.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 /forum/post/20828957

This, Christmas Vacation and The Ref, best three Xmas movies of all time. Day one purchase for me.

Your insight is keen. Those are, indeed, the three best Christmas movies. I might be moved to add A Christmas Story, Die Hard (now I have a machine gun...), and Bad Santa to this list, but it stands well on it's own.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/20834461

I think this can make a serious case for being the best version of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I'm all over this.

Karen Allen at last year's DragonCom (who was the sweetest, most unaffected person imaginable) said she had good memories of the shoot, but Bill Murray drove everyone nuts by constantly rewriting the dialogue. He would wake her up at night talking about changes and motivation and stuff. (Plus, for some reason she noticed me in the crowd and gave me a big smile.) Murray used to have a low opinion of the movie (shared, it is true, by a great many people); I hope he has mellowed.

Agreed Karen Allen is a LOVELY human being. That smile is electric!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Anything at all on this release being from a different (better) source than the last release?

[since the extras (sic) are the same, I think not]

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/20838734

Love the flick and Bill in it though by many accounts he is a total ass in real life

http://themovieblog.com/2004/12/bill...-gets-told-off

And by many accounts water in the northern hemisphere swirls down a sink counter clockwise but in the southern hemisphere it rotates clockwise. I mean it's said by people all the time so it must be true, right?

Don't believe everything you read.

I have no doubt that Bill Murray is tempermental, can be a jerk, and can be hard to work with. He's an actor though and I've known most to be somewhat similar. Comedic actors even more so and he does have a snarky sense of humor.

Ayway good news about Scrooged. It, along with A Christmas Vacation, A Crhistmas Story, and Die Hard are some of my favorite holiday movies. A definite buy for me.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

Quote:
Murray used to have a low opinion of the movie (shared, it is true, by a great many people); I hope he has mellowed.

Even Danny Elfman was on record saying SCROOGED was a nightmare for almost everyone involved. Murray was apparently impossible on set, he and Donner didn't get along, Conrad Hall (the dp) was fired several days into filming, the script went through changes even while production was on-going...it's a wonder the film turned out as well as it did, because it was apparently not a pleasant experience to make.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Love this flick, but if this is another of Paramount's catalogue DNR jobs then I won't touch it with a barge pole. My DVD version still worked, last time I checked...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Just sampled this and, from what I've seen, I'm happy to report Paramount didn't mess this one up. It's a newer AVC encode and has doesn't have any DNR issues that I can detect. Good detail...in fact I'd give it a strong 4.5/5. Only extra is the trailer.

Folks expecting this to look like FOOTLOOSE, PLANES TRAINS, etc. will be pleasantly surprised. It's more like AIRPLANE in that they left well enough alone.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI /forum/post/21109491

Just sampled this and, from what I've seen, I'm happy to report Paramount didn't mess this one up. It's a newer AVC encode and has doesn't have any DNR issues that I can detect. Good detail...in fact I'd give it a strong 4.5/5. Only extra is the trailer.

Folks expecting this to look like FOOTLOOSE, PLANES TRAINS, etc. will be pleasantly surprised. It's more like AIRPLANE in that they left well enough alone.

Good news for once.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts