AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I am looking to replace my radiator fans and the case fans in order to make my HTPC a little more silent.

It's just a little too loud, and that really needs to be fixed.

A buddy of mine told me about Nexus fans and I have heard a lot about Scythe S-Flex on this forum.

Which is the most silent 120mm fan you've ever installed?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ah fan selection, my old friend, we meet again.

I've used so many fans over the last few years to figure out what works the best for what situations and tonality of bearings and logevity of bearings based on orientation that I literally have one and a half standard 703 document boxes full of fans just sitting, most of which will never be used again, a fair few would be as well off burned as anything else.

First off, we need to know what radiator you're using, an MCR requires a different fan than a monster, and several companies are making both traditional and low-impedance radiators.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a coolermaster cosmos II and a Swiftech H20.

4 fans are needed. 2 rad fans, 2 exhaust/intake, I might just get rid of the H20 and go with the Corsair h50. Seems like a better idea.

This cooling system doesn't have my chip any cooler (running at 54C watching a BR or recording HD).

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/18201815

I have a coolermaster cosmos II and a Swiftech H20.

4 fans are needed. 2 rad fans, 2 exhaust/intake, I might just get rid of the H20 and go with the Corsair h50. Seems like a better idea.

This cooling system doesn't have my chip any cooler (running at 54C watching a BR or recording HD).

Either would be fine if they will be placed vertically. If they will be horizontal, use the Scythe because they have fluid bearings. Most likely the radiator pump will be much noisier than either.

Recommended 120mm Fans

Fan Model

(linked to review)

Manufacturer

Bearing Type

Starting Voltage

Rated Speed

SPL @ Full Speed

Noctua NF-S12-1200

Noctua NF-S12-800

Noctua?

SSO

2.9V

3.0V

1,200 RPM

800 RPM

25 [email protected]

~20 [email protected]

A very unusual fan from an Austrian company posing as a research institute. Unusual blade design produces more airflow than usual, but possibly at the cost of reduced pressure. Reports from real users have suggested that, despite measuring higher, actual cooling power is slightly less than it should be. Noise character was very broadband and became inaudible at a relatively high voltage. However, it lacks the buttery smoothness of some other fans. An effective choice for a case fan, but the questions raised about its pressure make us hesitate to recommend it for use on a heatsink. Added Mar/07

Nexus Real Silent Case Fan D12SL-12

Yate Loon / Hong Sheng?

Sleeve

5.5V

1,000 RPM

22 [email protected]

A longtime favorite. Was and remains SPCR's de facto reference 120mm fan, though it provides slightly less airflow-for-noise than the Noctua. Its noise character is smooth and low frequency, generating a low hum when it is audible. Its bright orange color has put off some people, and it is now available in an elegant black-and-white edition. Closed corner flanges can sometimes cause problems with mounting clips, but this is easily fixed with a dremel or hacksaw. Sample variance is a bit of a question mark, and at least two revision of this fan have been identified in the wild from two different manufacturers. Luckily, the change in manufacturer did not seem to affect the noise signature. Added Mar/07

Scythe S-Flex SFF21D

Scythe S-Flex SFF21E

Scythe S-Flex SFF21F

Adda? (Sony Bearing)

Sony-FDB

8.9V

4.8V

4.0V

800 RPM

1,200 RPM

1,600 RPM

~20 [email protected]

23 [email protected]

31 [email protected]

Sounds and performs almost identically to the Nexus, though its noise character is very slightly more tonal. However, quality control with the S-Flex appears to be better, and the Sony-FDB bearing is thought to be quite high quality. Some people have commented that the lowest speed model has a trace of ticking that is absent in higher speed models. Our own testing confirms this. Added Mar/07

Scythe Kama Flow SA1225FDB12L

Adda? (Sony Bearing)

Sony-FDB

6.6V

1,000 RPM

22 [email protected]

Basically identical to the Scythe S-Flex series, with minor differences in frame design, default speed, and possibly vibration level. Its rated speed of 1,000 RPM makes it a slightly better choice, though; it's acceptably quiet at full speed but tolerates undervolting a bit better than the low speed S-Flex. Availability is currently limited to Japan only. Added Mar/07

·
Registered
701 Posts
For open air you can't get much better than the Scythe Slipstream, so long as they remain vertical, because of the the sleeve bearing, they can not be laid down and remain quiet. For either the H20 or the H50 you're going to need a fan with higher static pressure because the radiators are rather dense. The S-Flex are good, the Nexus are a bit better because of slightly higher static pressures, but there again the nexus are a sleeve bearing. If you can spring for it, Noctua has some very quiet fans with high static pressure, but they're quite expensive.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18201918

For open air you can't get much better than the Scythe Slipstream, so long as they remain vertical, because of the the sleeve bearing, they can not be laid down and remain quiet. For either the H20 or the H50 you're going to need a fan with higher static pressure because the radiators are rather dense. The S-Flex are good, the Nexus are a bit better because of slightly higher static pressures, but there again the nexus are a sleeve bearing. If you can spring for it, Noctua has some very quiet fans with high static pressure, but they're quite expensive.

the two rad fans are on the top of the case and they will remain horizontal, the intake fan as well, it's on the bottom of the Cosmos

The exhaust fan is the only one that's vertical.

If I got the H50 it could remain vertical or horizonal. Not quite sure where I'd put that.

This is probably my last shot with watercooling, I don't game and it's not as quiet as I thought. I'll spend the money and follow up. If you can give me some specific model numbers that'd be great.

·
Registered
701 Posts
3 out of four being horizontal I would probably have to reccomend:

Scythe S-flex SSFF21E 1200rpm

Or

Noctua NF-P12-1300

The noctua is a slightly better fan for radiators because of it's greater blade surface area creating more static pressure.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, $22 per fan.

I can see why it gives better static pressure with those teeth on each shroud

Ok, I am going to trust that price means quality on this.

http://www.tinozplace.com/imagez/HTPC/12.JPG (cable routing isn't as good in this pic as it is now)

What should I get for the bottom intake fan? I'll get the same if necessary but as far as I know, this fan just doesn't do much for the case. HD's are all around 51-59C and that's what the fan is supposed to take care of.

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtosDracon /forum/post/18203013

3 out of four being horizontal I would probably have to reccomend:

Scythe S-flex SSFF21E 1200rpm

I have that fan in my HTPC, although not horizontally. With SpeedFan controlling it @ 50% speed, it's practically dead silent.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/18257017

What is the highest pressure fan that also is ultra quiet available?

You're talking about two aspects of fans that do not coincide well. They're not mutually exclusive, but the quietest open air fans do not produce as much static pressure. That Noctua I listed is likely among the best. Scythe's 120x38mm fans, that I can't remember the name of now, are good, but to get good static pressure you're best of getting the 2000rpm fan and running it at 7 volts as at or below 1Krpm they're noted for being a bit chattery.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the noctua fans on the rad, thanks for your suggestion, very quiet as promised.

I was just making sure that there was nothing else before I ordered my 3rd $25 fan

·
Registered
162 Posts
I own 80mm, and 92mm Scythe S-flex fans and hate them, in fact I no longer use them at all. There is an annoying humm. I own a 120mm Scythe Quiet Typhoon and like it much better.

I did have a 92mm Nexus and that was very good, until it died.

I own 80mm Yate Loons and like those very much if under volt to 7V, but even at 12V not bad.

I currently have an Arctic Cooling 92mm PWN fan and like it, especially for the price. I replaced the Nexus that died with this.

You might want to read the fan section at silentpcreview.com although I don't agree with the S-Flex recommendation at all.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts