AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone forsee a problem with changing out the glycol coolant in my 1031q without taking out the tubes?

I bought a set of HD-144 color corrected lenses and I'm replacing the colored coolant in the tubes with clear ethylene glycol. With the two plug screws on top, and using a syringe there shouldn't :confused: be any problems. There isn't any fungus on the glass, so there's no need to remove the glass plates.

BTW...will a pint of glycol be enough?

Thanks,

Alan

Image borrowed from eboyztoyz.net

http://www.eboyztoyz.net/1031q/image...d/fillhole.jpg

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I have tried the color corrected lenses in a ECP that has the same tubes as your Sony. I left the colored coolant in and noticed no apparant loss in light output. You'll have to adjust your grayscale whether or not you change the fluid. I found the colors great, almost up to that of my NEC 9PG Plus. Try it with the existing fluid first. I think you'll like it.

Chip S.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Jeepin

My 1042qm's blue tube cracked a few months ago. I took out the lens and the case from the pj, and took out the screws as shown on your pic. I didn't use syringe to draw out the glycol. I just held up the rest part of the pj and shaked it until all collant went out. It was easy to do but you must be strong enough.
I did this way because I didn't want to take out the tube and touch the HV part.

I ordered ethylene glycol from US through my friend and cut a piece of same glass from the glass shop. The glass was glued one month ago and I received the coolant last week.

This afternoon, I used a syringe to inject the glycol into the tube through the hole. I didn't count exactly how much glycol I used but around 50ml.

I put all parts back to my pj and adjusted the pj. The pj was tested and it works again.

Conclusively, replace the coolant doesn't need to take out the tube. See how I refill the glycol on the pic.

Good luck.

C.F. Cheung

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Wow Cheungcf is that your fixed tube? It looks a bit toasted.

I am not saying you cant remove the coolant without removing the tube but I just don’t think its the best way because if the stuff gets on any part of the projector and you don’t clean it off I hear its very corrosive. I would remove the tube because you probably have a nice projector that is working fine. Your going to have to re do the mechanics any way so why not take this time to start all over again.

These units are heave and I just can t see flipping the unit over and hoping the fluid will drain out into a container without making a huge mess. It’s not like changing the oil in your car J

I have used the syringe method of refilling and it works perfect I don’t however think you can do that to remove all the fluid because once the level gets too low the needle wont be able to fill or that would be a great way to simply drain a tube. Perhaps if you can get a syringe with a very long needle that would ultimately be the best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my buddies is a vet and he should be able to get me a long needle and sryinge (cattle usage).

I will probably take Stefuel's advice and try the lenses with the colored coolant first. If it looks fine I won't change it.

Thanks for the replies!

-Alan

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Vic,

I seldomly flip over my car to drain the oil. You are right, it's a pain.

Marc

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Marc,

I tried that once about 25 years ago. It works but not highly recomended.

Chip S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I had to remove the fluid in a defunges operation I used a large injection needle,

In this way i took out all of the fluid.

When you take out the plug screws, be carefull that non of the pollution get into the tube.

In the tube there is about 70 cl. ( metric)

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.