AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Toshiba 56H80 at a local Best Buy. I've heard great things about this unit from newsgroups, forums, and current owners. It was delivered and needed calibration. The geometry was off. So I'm considering returning the set if the tech can't fix it to my liking. If I return it, I can trade it out for another set (SD-532-HD5) or get the Toshiba again.

At best buy, the units stand side by side. The picture quality on the pioneer is magnificent. Way better than the Toshiba.

So I have to ask myself... Would Best Buy intentionally calibrate one set to look better than the other. When I watch this set at home, I'm pretty happy. But knowing that I can upgrade the picture quality by paying a couple hundred more, makes the switch appealing.

Anyone else out there compare these two models before making the grand purchase? Is there something that the Toshiba has that the Pioneer doesn't? What would I give up if I made the switch (and I'm talking about the implicit tradeoffs that you can't see in a side by side comparison on a web site)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

With regard to store selling practices ... I do it all the time for stores locally. I will calibrate a number of the units that they want calibrated ... and or I will calibrate the units that I find to be interesting.

Often as a consumer, you won't know exactly which ones I worked on ... (although for me, I always put my advertising banner on top of any sets that I have worked on, but these banners do get misplaced.)

As to the Pioneer standard line. Their linedoubler is considerably worse than the one in the TOshiba TV. So much so that I would never consider the standard line of Pioneers unless I was going to add an ISCAN with it.

A fully calibrated Toshiba picture exceeds that of an uncalibrated Pioneer. (If both are eqaually calibrated, images are fairly comparable.) In general, Pioneers come OOTB better tweaked than most Toshiba sets. It might partially explain their higher cost.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael,

Thanks for the info. So if I were to have my Toshiba properly calibrated, the picture would NOT be inferior to that of the pioneer (a properly calibrated Pioneer)?

When researching the Pioneer, I noticed that the convergence points numbered in the 70s whereas the Toshiba has 9 point calibration. (At least the calibration points to which I have access.) This to me seems like a plus for Pioneer. Must convergence be calibrated frequently?

You mentioned "standard line." What is that? Is that the resolution before adding ISCAN?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.