AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Standard, analog, Cable TV running to a Samsung LC-46D64U looks decent. I understand that standard cable will look a little poorer on a big LCD.

When I run it through a Hauppage WINTV-HVR-2250 and Gigabyte GA-MA78GM (using integrated ATI video), the image quality is much poorer. I am connecting the HTPC to the TV with an HDMI cable.

I tried changing the resolution from 1900 x 1080 all the way down to 800 x 600, with no affect.

Is there anything that I can do? Are other capture cards better? This one seemed to get good reviews.

I searched and found a few similar threads, but most were related to a set top box. I purchased the capture card to enable the PC to be used as a DVR. If the quality is poor, it's obviously not very useful as a DVR.

thanks for any help

--Adrial

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrial /forum/post/15589967

Standard, analog, Cable TV running to a Samsung LC-46D64U looks decent. I understand that standard cable will look a little poorer on a big LCD.

When I run it through a Hauppage WINTV-HVR-2250 and Gigabyte GA-MA78GM (using integrated ATI video), the image quality is much poorer. I am connecting the HTPC to the TV with an HDMI cable.

I tried changing the resolution from 1900 x 1080 all the way down to 800 x 600, with no affect.

Is there anything that I can do? Are other capture cards better? This one seemed to get good reviews.

I searched and found a few similar threads, but most were related to a set top box. I purchased the capture card to enable the PC to be used as a DVR. If the quality is poor, it's obviously not very useful as a DVR.

thanks for any help

--Adrial

Analog capture is never as good as the direct output from your STB, but it should not be that bad either.

Try the following:

1 Use better cable, splitter (if you use one). Signal strength is always important.

2 What bit-rate are you using for your MPEG capture? Increase it to see if it help.

3. Sometimes analog capture device's color profile is way off. Try to find documents about it and play with. I use SageTV and it has a color calibration function for my analog capture card.

4. Try bypassing your tuner by connecting the STB out to the video-in of your capture card. If this improve your quality, then the tuner is at fault but not your hardware mpeg2 encoder.

5. Last but the least, get a discrete video card (Radeon Hd 4XXX) that can do Vector Adaptive De-interlace in the hardware.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts