AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really buy SD DVDs any more, but I've noticed that the prices have crept up. I remember buying new release SD DVDs for $15. Now they're mostly $18-20. Doesn't anyone think this has to do with the migration to HDM? Or do I need to remove my tinfoil hat?

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts
It probably has more to do with the cost of fuel to get them to you. Check the consumer price index. Lots of things have gone up.

You can leave the hat on. I'm sure there'll be another conspiracy along shortly.

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/12946463

What migration?

larry

LOL!! No kidding. HDM sales vs DVD sales is less "migration" and more "curiosity" at the moment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Recession is an Americans best friend! Seriously though with the "rough" times coming it seems that prices for most goods will go, so expect slow sales for both formats...

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12947208

Trivia for you: How many years did it take for DVD to reach 10% of the USA TV households?

And how many SD-ready sets were available to the consumer at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12947208

Trivia for you: How many years did it take for DVD to reach 10% of the USA TV households?

You mean it's THERE, already? Wow.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well it probably doesnt help that many people arent buying the way they used to and they are not selling the same volumes. I have bought about 285 BD and HD movies over the last year and a half but only 3 SDs. As far as I am concerned SD is a dying format and dont want to support it anymore.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtom /forum/post/12939533

I don't really buy SD DVDs any more, but I've noticed that the prices have crept up. I remember buying new release SD DVDs for $15. Now they're mostly $18-20. Doesn't anyone think this has to do with the migration to HDM? Or do I need to remove my tinfoil hat?

It seems to me that standard def. dvd prices are around $20 full retail, but actually sell for around $15 to $17 when a title first comes out. It doesn't take very long for those to drop to a $14.99 or even $9.99 full retail - and eventually they seem to show up selling for as low as $5 or $6 - so no - I think prices are dropping, not rising. I think pricing + upconverting players are the main reasons standard def dvd's have a very long life ahead, and high def will stay a small niche. When and if HD-DVD expires, that niche will simply get even smaller . . .

·
Registered
5,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/12948093

And how many SD-ready sets were available to the consumer at the same time.

First, I am not a marketing person, for historical DVD data check with Jim Taylor.

When defining market penetration you are interested in a target market. That is the reason the term TV households was/is used.

The only meaningful data for HDM market penetration would be HDTV households. (I am aware that some may own a HDM player connected to a SD display device)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/12946463

What migration?

larry

Yes, yes, the market penetration is low for HDM. But what I was referring to was the price jump from SD to HD. It's almost as if they want to make it appear that it isn't that big by keeping DVD prices higher than they used to. Yeah, CPI and higher fuel costs probably have more to do with it, but then it should affect HD, too.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12948221

First, I am not a marketing person, for historical DVD data check with Jim Taylor.

When defining market penetration you are interested in a target market. That is the reason the term TV households was/is used.

The only meaningful data for HDM market penetration would be HDTV households. (I am aware that some may own a HDM player connected to a SD display device)

The question would be what the target market is. I would say that unless you have a really large screen, HD will not be easy to get into everyones home. And if you get it, they will not rebuy catalouge titles. And if you cant get down the HDM prices many will have second doubt to buy the title in HDM.

The only people I found intrested in HD movies have been owners of projectors.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/12948279

The question would be what the target market is. I would say that unless you have a really large screen, HD will not be easy to get into everyones home. And if you get it, they will not rebuy catalouge titles. And if you cant get down the HDM prices many will have second doubt to buy the title in HDM.

The only people I found intrested in HD movies have been owners of projectors.

All of this has been argued before (many, many times) but with different mediums. Replace SD with VHS and replace HD with DVD or replace SD with LP and replace HD with CD or ....

We all know the success story of DVD yet do you how long it took DVD to reach parity with VHS?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12948418

We all know the success story of DVD yet do you how long it took DVD to reach parity with VHS?

There is one big difference, DVD was something that many people wanted, its was just the price that was wrong (In the beginnig).

HDM is different. Most people dont care even if the price would be low.

Sure if you can put HDM capacity in every new DVD player sold, you could have had a chance of getting HDM in everyones home, but if the movies dont come down in the same range as DVD. Very few will pay extra for something they dont really want.

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12948418

I know it took 5 years before the number of rentals was about equal. But if you're talking about an installed base, I'd hazard a guess to say parity still hasn't been reached. That is to say, there are still more homes with a VCR than with a DVD player. Though probably not by much.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
one thing i have noticed this time around is advertising has been everywhere and lots

of it so if someone did not hear about it, its because they choose not to.its in magazines,radio,tv and newspapers also look at the internet no matter what site anyone

is on sooner or later there is an ad.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/12948487

There is one big difference, DVD was something that many people wanted, its was just the price that was wrong (In the beginnig).

Not true. As I posted above, For historical DVD data check with Jim Taylor. (or The Digital Bits). All of this is recorded history. For example, do some research to ascertain how many years it was till the general target populace even knew what DVD was after it was introduced to the US market?

We went On Air with WMPN-DT (HDTV) in November 1998. Unfortunately, there was a format war commencing (8VSB vs.COFDM) even after the FCC had approved 8VSB. So the early adoption of HDTV was hampered by two things. Awareness and a format war. (And please do not respond by saying the price was to high).

Quote:
HDM is different. Most people dont care even if the price would be low.

Here is another for you. How long before Color TV = BW TV in the US.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon /forum/post/12948494

I know it took 5 years before the number of rentals was about equal. But if you're talking about an installed base, I'd hazard a guess to say parity still hasn't been reached. That is to say, there are still more homes with a VCR than with a DVD player. Though probably not by much.

No argument from me. It would be interesting to know how many VCR households still use them for program delay. And of that group, how many know there is a DVD STB that has a big ◘ button on it.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland /forum/post/12949683

Here is another for you. How long before Color TV = BW TV in the US.

On a 32 inch display the improvment of going HD is marginal.

On any TV going from BW to Color is a major difference.

Here is one for you

How long did it take for AudioDVD and SACD to become the norm?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts