AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's come down to this. I want a big screen HDTV, 60", and I also want a nice picture with Standard Definition broadcast.

I say this only because almost every unit ( LCD,DLP and LCOS) that I'm interested in purchasing has outstanding picture quality with DVDs and HD broadcasts. As you know it's not a perfect world and many of the boadcast I will watch will not be HD. I frequently watch the news channels, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC etc.. Not to mention some of my wife's favorites which I know WILL NOT BE sports. IMO this technology's primary development was LIVE sporting events, it's also my primary reason in buying into the HDTV concept. Love the sports in HD!! :^)

Cabinet size limitations and cost has narrowed my shopping down to Sony GWIII, Philips LCOS and of course Samsung DLP. I've seen the Philips and was not impressed, I wish the store (Tweeter) would have had it ISF calibrated so I might see the best possible picture. I can't stand all the purple hues in the blacks. Probably another year away to develop this technology for consumers. I'm ready to buy now.

So it may be down to GWIII (maybe even XBR model, I like the cabinet styling) and Samsung DLP. I will be sitting 12-15 ft. from the unit so 60" model is what I will most likely be getting. Another problem I realize is larger screen usually equals lesser PQ.

Standard definition broadcast will most likely sway me if PQ on both units are close. I don't have a problem with screen door effect, as I mentioned I'll be far enough from the picture that I feel it does not come into play, and both the wife and I are not Rainbow effected by the Samsung. I feel the Samsung does have the Sharpest picture but that seems to be a downfall when it comes to displaying SD.

Garbage In = Garbage Out.

I will be using a Hughes E86 HDTV receiver to view the HD broadcasts. Please post your opinions on why I should buy one or the other.

Thanks In Advance,

nc2

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
IMO, with analog connections, the 50" GWIII definitely does better than the 50" Samsung DLP when it comes to SD. I haven't tested them both with SD via DVI, so the Samsung may hold its own there.

I'm not talking about DVDs here, which are technically SD, I haven't tested those on the GWIIIs yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the "crappy SD on my Sammy 56" thread and it seems that for some (even me) this will be an issue.

As I had mentioned before, you can't avoid watching some SD on the unit. Looks like LCD picture (maybe not as Sharp as Samsung) will win out in the SD picture comparisons. A TV like this is something that will sit in my living room for a while. I'm currently watching my 1984 27" Sylvania. My next TV I hope will last half that lifespan. The Sylvania is getting tired and the picture now has just recently started to get some type of line separation.

In a couple years there may not be any SD left, so here's to the future.

Thanks for the comments

nc2

·
Registered
231 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I don't think that SD looks that bad (comparatively speaking) on my Sammy 50".

I have analog Comcast cable and mostly use the TV for DVDs right now. I also have a ReplayTV (crappy MPEG2 quality) and I don't even mind the way IT looks on the Sammy.

I think you guys should just quit worrying about it and just think about the SPECTACULAR DVD, HD, ED content that these sets will give you!

Given the choice, what am I going to do? Go BACK to my crappy 27" direct view set? HELLZ NO!

My $0.02 =)

Neil

·
Registered
148 Posts
SD on my Sammy 50" looks better than it did on my 32" Sony Wega. The MOST important factor seems to be signal strength. I made sure that my TV is on it's own feed (no splitters) and that made the greatest improvement. My wife, who really couldn't care, said that the picture was better. She said it looks almost "3D". I also expected it would look like crap after reading the threads but I was pleasantly surprised

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.