AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time is NOW for me to jump to a new set.

I have to consider SD PQ because my GF still watches quite a bit of SD material.

And I watch some myself. So, let's say HD/SD is about 50/50. I'm looking for a set 37-42", possibly bigger if the $$ is right. Viewing distance is 8' & I would be fine w/ 720 to save a few $$..

Any input is appreciated...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go for the Pioneer Kuro 4280. Pioneer has good video processing. That's one of the reasons I bought the 5080 - we watch 50/50 SD/HD.....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 /forum/post/12865361

What's your budget? Viewing conditions?

Would like to keep it $1100 or lower out the door ...

Will not be wall mounting even if FP...

No glare or off angle issues. Small room w/ easily controlled ambient light. Blinds almost always closed. Viewing distance is 7' - 8'. Room so small, camera so cheap can't get a good full room shot...but this is current from seating...

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumonkey2 /forum/post/12865159

The time is NOW for me to jump to a new set.

I have to consider SD PQ because my GF still watches quite a bit of SD material.

And I watch some myself. So, let's say HD/SD is about 50/50. I'm looking for a set 37-42", possibly bigger if the $$ is right. Viewing distance is 8' & I would be fine w/ 720 to save a few $$..

Any input is appreciated...

Actually it's pretty hard to beat a CRT for sd picture quality.

Probably the 2 best HDTVs ever in your size range @ sd picture quality are the Loewe Aconda 38" and I think there was one called the Sony 40XBR600 as well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack White /forum/post/12892461

Actually it's pretty hard to beat a CRT for sd picture quality.

Probably the 2 best HDTVs ever in your size range @ sd picture quality are the Loewe Aconda 38" and I think there was one called the Sony 40XBR600 as well.

Yeah, but neither of those are gonna do me any good now

And evenIF I could find one in good shape, way too damn heavy...

Soooooo.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a panasonic plasma and the SD picture is good, my uncle has a 36 inch Sony CRT HDTV and even he thought the SD picture looked good. The TV does a good job of stretching the picture to 16:9 without distortion in the "just" mode.

His 36 inch was so heavy that it took us about 2 hours before we got the courage to lift it into his entertainment center, I couldn't imagine lifting a 40 inch!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Without stretching your budget, consider the Vizio LCDs available at Costco or Walmart/Sam's Club. They handle SD just fine, and for the money, deliver excellent HD programming. With most sets, adjusting the picture is the most important thing to do, and start with dialing down the "detail" or "sharpness" setting to just over 0.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/12894504

Without stretching your budget, consider the Vizio LCDs available at Costco or Walmart/Sam's Club. They handle SD just fine, and for the money, deliver excellent HD programming. With most sets, adjusting the picture is the most important thing to do, and start with dialing down the "detail" or "sharpness" setting to just over 0.

They are on my list....I'm really looking at a 50" after not pulling the trigger today

1 - 12 of 12 Posts