AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ready to jump to a new set. Will be watching about 50/50 HD/SD, so SD "quality" is still important to me. Considering RP because of money I can save/larger pic for the money. Looking hard at the Sony 37" but would really like to go 42-46", 50" max. 720p fine w/ me from 8' viewing distance. Give me some input!!

Thanks

I can get SONY SDF46E2000 at a very nice price...not very much feedback on here about this set. Pic in showroom is OK to me, of course I saw better - but all tradeoffs considered....

·
Registered
596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumonkey2 /forum/post/12865169

I'm finally ready to jump to a new set. Will be watching about 50/50 HD/SD, so SD "quality" is still important to me. Considering RP because of money I can save/larger pic for the money. Looking hard at the Sony 37" but would really like to go 42-46", 50" max. 720p fine w/ me from 8' viewing distance. Give me some input!!

Thanks

I can get SONY SDF46E2000 at a very nice price...not very much feedback on here about this set. Pic in showroom is OK to me, of course I saw better - but all tradeoffs considered....

I don't know about that set but just to set your expectations, Anamorphic SD DVDs look very nice on my 60" Sony. If it is non-anamorphic, it depends a lot on the source material.

Since I watch about 80% HD, it makes the remaining SD look pretty poor. SD looked a lot better on my TV before I got HD Cable and a HD DVD player.

I think at 46" you should not really have much of a problem with SD material.

·
Banned
248 Posts
I have the Sony 42" Rear Project 3LCD Grand Wega. It took quite a while for me to get used to the stretch that is forced from an SD image to the wide screen. I probably sit between 8' and 10' from the display. When watching HD content, I wish it were a larger screen, SD howerver becomes to pixilated and grainy. The most simple resolution to that problem is to watch it in 4:3 format with side pillars. That way you are not distorting the actual image.

As for your screen size selection, consider this. A 42" wide screen is nearly equivalent to the size of a 27" 4:3 unit. And if you currently own a 32" screen, you will want to get at least a 50". Otherwise, it's not much of an upgrade in size. This is relative to a 4:3 format on your wide screen. The height does not change quickly on a 16:9 screen. So the sizes are sometimes intimiditing.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
For your distance and viewing mix, the 46E2000 may do you very well if you like the picture quality and it fits your budget. The criticism of these sets is the "screen-door effect", that mesh of fine lines between the pixels, but whether or not that bothers you is up to you. It should be reliable and last a long time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFinder /forum/post/12867078

I have the Sony 42" Rear Project 3LCD Grand Wega. It took quite a while for me to get used to the stretch that is forced from an SD image to the wide screen. I probably sit between 8' and 10' from the display. When watching HD content, I wish it were a larger screen, SD howerver becomes to pixilated and grainy. The most simple resolution to that problem is to watch it in 4:3 format with side pillars. That way you are not distorting the actual image.

As for your screen size selection, consider this. A 42" wide screen is nearly equivalent to the size of a 27" 4:3 unit. And if you currently own a 32" screen, you will want to get at least a 50". Otherwise, it's not much of an upgrade in size. This is relative to a 4:3 format on your wide screen. The height does not change quickly on a 16:9 screen. So the sizes are sometimes intimiditing.

Wouldn't a 42" give me a 30" 4:3...according to TVcalculator .com (which, for some reason, I can't pull up right now...???) I just remember a 32" 16:9 would give me 26" 4:3....

Yeah, I wouldn't stretch...I don't mind pillars when it's SD...heck, it would still be bigger than my 27" CRT

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We had been using a 32inch crt tv and at first thought stepping up to a 37in or 42in would give us a big screen experience but we're glad we took our time and found a really good buy on a 56in hd rp set and we love it. We paid $1000 for our tv as a demo. I watched a guy at Sam's Club yesterday buy a nice 50inch Plasma for $750.

You will never wish that you had bought a smaller tv and likely glad you reached deep and looked hard to find a deal you could afford to get a bigger one.

2007 720p set prices are tumbling now that the 2008 models have been introduced and a good 720p set does an outstanding job with all types of HD input.

So far as standard definition goes out set does a really nice job of upconverting standard def dvds if input is component but our DirecTV receiver only provides S-Video connection and the set still does a pretty good job up converting most of the channels. Over-the-air HD is awesome.

GoodLuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts