AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about getting a Sharp LC-26GA4U but need to know how SD content looks on this set. Also what scaling chip does this model use?

·
Registered
52 Posts

No clue on the scaling, but I had one of these Sharps sitting next to my Samsung LN-R268W last week and SD is my primary concern. Don't care about HD yet but just didn't want to buy a big heavy CRT here on the cusp of the transition to thinner tv's with HD capability for the future. Prior to the Sharp it was a Westinghouse LTV27W2 sitting next to the Samsung. I bought the Westinghouse because I noticed that it lacked this subtle but annoying halo/echo/edge effect that I noticed on both the Sharp and the Samsung in the store even in HD. Since it was $400 cheaper at my BB I figured it was a steal. I got it home fully expecting it to beat the Samsung but it ended up losing in most categories except that one edge issue and a few other things. Turns out it beat that weird edge effect by having a generally less crisp image overall, so visible problems like that were sort of blurred/grained out. So I went back and swapped it for your Sharp and brought it home to compare. In a nutshell, I think it lost in SD because of black levels and grain. I noticed the Sharp's comparative graininess next to the Samsung in a few different stores before every bringing it home, so it wasn't a surprise. I had hoped it was due more to overly-split SD signals in the stores but it persisted when I got it home.

You can read more about the subtle contrasting edge effect that the Sharp shares with the Samsung in this post of mine

You can read more about my thoughts on comparing the Sharp to the Samsung in my third installment in this thread

I thought the Sharp had better connections, fantastic sound, and more color/picture tweaking options than you could shake a stick at, more than any I've seen, but that the SD quality of the Samsung carried the day. Just clearer and blacker and slicker. Granted I was testing on composite and RF, so Svideo would have shown better results (R Harkness says SD isn't made to go over component and actually looks better on S-video, so I guess I wouldn't have gone higher than that even if I could have), but the two tv's were competing on even footing so I say fair's fair. I couldn't test HD as i won't have the HD cable box till this weekend. DVD PQ was more of a tossup, tested over Svideo and component. I gave a slight slight nod to Sharp there... maybe.

I know the above comparisons could have been affected by all sorts of settings and variables, but I tested every combination of tweaks I could come up with without getting one of those DVE or Avia discs. Grain remained my biggest gripe. The weird edge effect was second, and I'm hoping i just get used to it and stop noticing it as much. But both models do have it, so be sure to look out for it when you have adjacent fields of contrasting solid colors

I couldn't tell you how good the Sharp is compared to other major models in this class because I've only had the aforementioned three sets in my house for extensive testing and tweaking using a typical (i.e. not-B&M-crazy-split) SD signal. I was actually surprised, having thought Sharp would be top dog PQ-wise. But really the whole sector has been a disappointment for me interms of SD PQ. That seems to be everybody's gripe. I even tried as many of R Harkness's turd polishing techniques as I could, to little avail.

I just went ahead and bought for the future and am waiting for HD to take over the world.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Holy crap. After all that, you were asking about the 4U, not the 5U. I had the 5U. Sigh. Well hopefully some of this is still useful
Not to worry. As far as I understand the 5U and 4U are the same picture wise. Same pannel and circutry. One has detachable speakers one doesnt.

Thank you very much for your detailed post. This was actualy exactly what I was looking for. As luck would have it these are the exact displays im debating between (Samsung, Sharp, and Westy) :) .

I personaly thought the Westys performance SD wise (at least in the store) looked better then most other TVs but, like you mentioned, was worse in almost every other department.

I think I'll probably still stick with getting the sharp as 90% of the SD ill be watching will be DVDs which you mentioned were about the same on both sets. Plus I like the features the Sharp provides over most other models and am still somwhat concerned over the fact that Samsungs DNIe technology cant be tuned off (though it didnt seem to make the picture look bad in the store).

Again thanks for the comparisson. Very helpfull.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have the LC26GA4U in my bedroom fed by a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR/STB using HDMI. The picture quality on both HD and SD is great. It is more dependent on the signal strength and quality than the set. Mine is not calibrated but I adjust it all the time. In the daytime I use standard settings. AT night I use the OPC (automatic backlight control) and it sets the picture according to readings it takes from the room.

The scaler is a Sharp proprietary chip called CVIC II in that set.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
I have the LC26GA4U in my bedroom fed by a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR/STB using HDMI. The picture quality on both HD and SD is great. It is more dependent on the signal strength and quality than the set.
Just a side note - SD usually looks even better through S-Video than HDMI on the SA8300HD. You should connect the S-Video input then compare SD performance to the HDMI input - you may be pleasantly surprised :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I purchased the 32ga5u last week and all i can say is wow, almost. The picture quality on this set is abosolutely amazing with hd. Im not so sure sd is scaled to 480p as how my dvd player outputs 480p and it looks alot better than sd. I calibrated my set with dve and i was able to accurately correct my color levels with cms value adjustments in the advanced settings. Green push took me an hour to get right, but found out that if you turn the green value to almost perfect and then tweak the yellow value upwards a little, its dead on through the color filter with the reds and blues still being dead on also. Black levels leave a little to be desired. I've seen these sets for awhile and was astonished by the black levels in the stores and from what ive read at cnet. I cant get a good black level for anything unless i turn the backlight all the way down which annhialates the rest of the pq imo. Overall this set has its nags but still is the best looking set i've seen in the category.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.