AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You are asking on a plasma forum which has the better PQ?
These were 2 of my 3 that I had narrowed it down to, and I ended up going with the 5071, (BB's version). Unless you have tons of lighting in your room causing massive glare/reflections, the Plasma will own the best PQ, hands down, IMO...but the XBR is great too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious how either of you arrived at those two models as I have got it down to the same two. I'm leaning toward the Pioneer but I don't know if I'm doing it for the right reasons.

Its main use will be sports and movie watching, so the reputation of an LCD not handling fast action concerns me, although the salesman I've talked to say it's not an issue with the 46XBR2. Since plasmas seem to handle sports and movies better it seems like the natural choice, but I do have lighting concerns and am wondering if passing on 1080p is a wise move. The lighting issue concerns me a little, but I think I can work around it if necessary. I think the issue that made me lean toward the plasma is the clouding issue the 46XBR2 apparently is having(see LCD threads). I have no idea if the complaints are legit but it makes you stop and think.

My current reasoning is the better picture and the extra 4 inches and the piece of mind is worth passing on 1080p, especially considering my viewing preferences.

Am I foolish to not go 1080p?

Thanks!

Reggie5

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the 1080p still has me wondering if that in itself is enough to go with the

Sony, but the one other thing that concerns me is plasma burn in.

I have read some posts here that sound like horror stories in regards to burn in.

Not sure if they were the newer generation panels or not but I would hate to have a beautiful panel on my wall with obvious burn in.

But the main Q in my original post is which panel would give the best pq in SD?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner /forum/post/0

You are asking on a plasma forum which has the better PQ?
These were 2 of my 3 that I had narrowed it down to, and I ended up going with the 5071, (BB's version). Unless you have tons of lighting in your room causing massive glare/reflections, the Plasma will own the best PQ, hands down, IMO...but the XBR is great too.

so you mean you have been had by BB, nice price markup on the 5071, which is identical to the 5070 with a bigger sticker price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm comfortable that burn in shouldn't be an issue for me. I'm not much of a gamer and it sounds like if you're smart about your settings during the break in period it shouldn't be an issue, especially with this model. The stupid network logos will be my main problem.

Regarding the SD issue I have no experience, sorry. But I seem to recall from other threads that this plasma handles it very well. That topic pops up in a lot of threads. thanks.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeymo /forum/post/0

Yes, the 1080p still has me wondering if that in itself is enough to go with the

Sony, but the one other thing that concerns me is plasma burn in.

I have read some posts here that sound like horror stories in regards to burn in.

Not sure if they were the newer generation panels or not but I would hate to have a beautiful panel on my wall with obvious burn in.

But the main Q in my original post is which panel would give the best pq in SD?

nothing comes close to PQ than a Plasma, LCD has still ways to go, in regards to burn in, it's all a myth if you ask me, my 3-1/2 year old plasma has been used for PC, games, and HD viewing, with NO burn in problems, and that's an old Plasma with OLD tech, todays pdp's have many IR features build into their sets, do not be concerned, if you want the best picture a plasma is for you, if space is an isue and you need a smaller TV than LCD is for you.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungryman /forum/post/0

I think the only person who's been had is you, Cybertec. Or you're just stupid. Best Buy sells 5071HD for hundreds less than three grand.

I am not the one who has been had, it was you, I don't own either of those sets, go check any other vendor, no one else sells that model number, even on Pio's site you actually have to put in the model number to find the set, cause it is inclusive to BB, reason is as stated above, they DON'T have to price match "since no one else carries it", how come they don't carry the 5070 "same specs as the 5071", check it out for yourself, if they did, no one would buy their gimick with the 5071, and shame on Pio for those tactics,their MSRP is for $3,500 for the 5071, I am sure you got if for a bit less, but the 5070 can be had at some places for $2,300, take care.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Sony 46" LCD is extremely similar to the Samsung 46" (identical panels manufactured in the same plant and Sony/Samsung share patents on the technology). I purchased a Samsung 4696 1080p 46" set, had it in my house for about 2 weeks and returned it. My first HDTV. I hadn't done much research and had inflated expectations. The Samsung is a great TV - no, excellent - *when*fed*a*really*good*signal*. Great colour. Razor sharp image. Pixel perfect image reproduction.

That said, the TV behaved like a magnifying glass for imperfections in the signal. On one hand it seems unfair to fault a TV for displaying the exact signal its being presented with. On the other hand, in the two weeks I had my set I learned that there are precious few very pristine, high quality, noise free signals. (My experience was that Letterman, Leno, Conan O'Brien and most shows on Discovery were incredibly good - the occasional HD movie channel feed was as well. Unfortunately, my viewing habits tend not to include most of those programs!! xbox360 was great.) Everything else was if not a little noisy, then alot noisy. I was surprised that most sports programs were of poor signal quality. Don't get me started on SD - several shows I tend to watch are SD only right now. As guilty as I felt buying/then returning the set, I just couldn't justify the huge amount of money I'd spent.

I'm of the opinion that TVs with the ability to soften up/clean up the noise in a picture are more practical for general use. I suspect that this is among the reasons why the Pioneer 5070 is generally so well received - it does a great job of this.

I'd like to suggest that until the media catches up with recent TV's capabilities, a set with this characteristic may well give you the best overall experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are foolish to think that online prices are nice enough to give you rock bottom prices. It doesn't matter whether you buy online or at a store, resellers try to make money out of every sale. You always have to bargain to make sure they make less money than they expect. However, they will still sale if it means they are making a little money. The difference between online and Bestbuy is that you cannot haggle online, whereas at BestBuy they expect you to haggle. If you are articulate, you can pay a lot less than online retailers.

All the evidences from your argument are pulled from BestBuy policies. You don't seem like the type to play by your rules, rather than listen to others. That's why people like you are so easy to be had.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungryman /forum/post/0

You are foolish to think that online prices are nice enough to give you rock bottom prices. It doesn't matter whether you buy online or at a store, resellers try to make money out of every sale. You always have to bargain to make sure they make less money than they expect. However, they will still sale if it means they are making a little money. The difference between online and Bestbuy is that you cannot haggle online, whereas at BestBuy they expect you to haggle. If you are articulate, you can pay a lot less than online retailers.

All the evidences from your argument are pulled from BestBuy policies. You don't seem like the type to play by your rules, rather than listen to others. That's why people like you are so easy to be had.

give me fact, not HOT air, this has been posted on another 5070/71 thread here in this forum, I feel bad for people who do not do enough research before forking over thousands of hard earned $ to someone they think is trustworthy, and SHAME on Pioneer for going along with BB gimmick, al you are getting with the 5071 is another remote, WOW, now that is worth added cost, yea right, do me a favor, go to Pioneers site and check out both the 5070 and 5071, and then come back here and try to justify to me BB'S huge price increase, and again, how come they don't carry the 5070, stuff like that makes you wonder, made me do a double take last time I was in BB, makes you wonder sometimes how misinformed people are nowadays, just like this nice couple I met in BB, and they had no clue, told them to check out this forum before forking over their hard earned $ to these shark infested B&M stores.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going over the same thing for the past 8 months, I work for Sony and we get a very great discount on TVs. Even with the discount I couldn't bring myself to buy a LCD over the far better PQ of plasma. I work in the visual effect industry and my whole world revolves around getting the best picture possible. Now I have no doubt that LCDs will have a picture that can look the same as plasma in a few years but right now if you want a picture that is the most well rounded, with black levels, contrast and the best flesh tones go for the plasma.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeymo /forum/post/0

Got my selection nailed down to these 2 panels..Which has better SD pq?

First resolution. Beyond 7-8' you will not need 1080p.

Hands down the PQ on the plasma will be better.

SD scaling is excellent on the Pioneer even better on a NEC. I believe many here have reported not so good results with the Sonys.

Unless I had to sit right on top of the display, I would get the plasma without hesitation.

Be sure when you are in a store to get hold of the remotes and adjust as best you can for best PQ before passing judgement.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
In a bright room or controlled environment is an important question too.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec /forum/post/0

so you mean you have been had by BB, nice price markup on the 5071, which is identical to the 5070 with a bigger sticker price.

Nope, I got BB to match our forum sponsors. It ended up costing me $65 more than forum sponsors AFTER tax, (got free delivery too). Therefore, I got a pixel perfect guarentee with no buzzing and no worries for 30 days, which is something you will not get from online vendors. Care to make any other assumptions?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertec /forum/post/0

I am not the one who has been had, it was you, I don't own either of those sets, go check any other vendor, no one else sells that model number, even on Pio's site you actually have to put in the model number to find the set, cause it is inclusive to BB, reason is as stated above, they DON'T have to price match "since no one else carries it", how come they don't carry the 5070 "same specs as the 5071", check it out for yourself, if they did, no one would buy their gimick with the 5071, and shame on Pio for those tactics,their MSRP is for $3,500 for the 5071, I am sure you got if for a bit less, but the 5070 can be had at some places for $2,300, take care.

The only difference between the 5070 and 5071 is BB gives you an additional remote, which is practically worthless. You are correct though, due to being "different" they do not have to price match....but you are incorrect in thinking that they will not price match. With persistence, and a little luck, they will and do match up very well to online vendors at many of the stores.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.