AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my Olevia LT32HVE for 3 days now and I cant be happier. Then, this morning, the Comcast guy came and brought my new Motorola HD set top box. Wow, the HD channels just blew me away (relative to money spent). But! and it is a big BUT! The picture quality on the SD channels took a big dive. I'd say 50%worse. What's going on here?

The PQ on the SD channels were fantastic on my old digital non-HD set top box. Now, it sucks. Channels like Nickelodeon, DISNEY really suck. Whats going on? Is it my TV? Or is it the box?

bing

·
Registered
635 Posts
Common happening, actually. The tuners in your TV perform better than the STB. I'm not sure what the Olevia uses, but a 3-2 film-mode could be also in use, helping the SD image, where the STB will not.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bear with me, but I had both set top boxes on with component video cables, so I was not using the tuners (is this correct)?

Can anything be done, or should I just get my old set top box. Coz, over all, I watch more SD than HD.

bing

·
Registered
635 Posts
Odd. I didn't get that you had an older STB before the "new" one came, made it sound like you just got one and were going directly into the TV w/ the coax.

Same still holds true, I'd imagine. The newer box isn't performing as well as the older one. Could call Comcast and try a different box, but it's a long shot.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing!
Ive had my Olevia LT32HVE for 3 days now and I cant be happier. Then, this morning, the Comcast guy came and brought my new Motorola HD set top box. Wow, the HD channels just blew me away (relative to money spent). But! and it is a big BUT! The picture quality on the SD channels took a big dive. I'd say 50%worse. What's going on here?

The PQ on the SD channels were fantastic on my old digital non-HD set top box. Now, it sucks. Channels like Nickelodeon, DISNEY really suck. Whats going on? Is it my TV? Or is it the box?
It could be something as simple as the new HD converter using a different type of connection compared to your old box. Case in point - the analog SD channels on my former Explorer 2000 looked great on my 32" HD-ready Panny tube TV, but when i replaced that box with a Pioneer 3510HD those same good chanels now looked like absolute crap (fuzzy and blurry, poor colors, etc). The difference was that the old box was connected via S-Video but the new HD box was now connected via Component. So for the heck of it i also connected the S-Video output to the TV like i had with the other box and wow SD suddenly looked Excellent again. Switch back to the Component input and it looked terrible. So from then on i simply kept both connections and used the S-Video input to watch SD (which is like 85% of the time anyway). I get the same results with my Plasma and my two small LCD TVs. SD just looks like crap over Component on all my TVs so maybe you're having the same issue.

Try connecting the LCD via Composite or S-Video then check SD picture quality. If this doesn't work, then let us know exactly what brand and model your new HD STB is and exactly how it's connected to your TV.

Also, if you have any splitters in your cable anywhere in the house they could be part of the problem, maybe the new box doesn't deal with a bad signal as well as the old one did. If you have a lot of splitters and/or they're older and less than say 1,000 MHz then reduce the number of them and get new ones with a high MHz rating.

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I tried composite input and the SD channel PQ did improve back to what I had with the old STB.

The new HD STB does not have seperate audio outputs for composite or S-video out. Looks like I may have to do some creative cabling to split the audio outputs from the STB for HD and SD watching. Darnit.

Just to be clear, I had an old digital STB before the HD one.

We have 2 HDTVs now. A 3 year old Sony KFX60XBR800 60 inch rear projection LCD (which suffers from the same sucky SD PQ) and this Olevia 32LT32HVE.

The new STB is a Comcast/Motorola DCT 5100. The old STB was a Comcast/General Instrument DCT2241.

I was using composite video on the old STB and component video on the new one.

bing

·
Registered
751 Posts
Did you go into the setup mode and select each resoultion your panel can support? Reason I am asking is that when my HD box was installed the Tech if you could call him that screwed up the setup screen. I went in last nite and redid it and my SD now looks better on my HD panel then it did with my old analog box. And everything fills the panel screen , no stretch or zoom.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I've noticed there's a balancing act between cable STBs, initial setup, and display inputs, too. Years ago a SA2000HD converter upconverted all 480i to 1080i at the YPbPr outputs. 480i images were too fuzzy and color-drained on my year-2000 9"-CRT RPTV; real 1080i was okay, although it had a faint white image 'fog'. So I used S-video for 480i, letting my RPTV stretch it to 16:9.

My latest converters, the SA8300HD for Time Warner and the DCT6412 for RCN Cable, both dual-tuner DVRs, do a good job of upconverting 480i to 1080i. (Added RCN a while back to get several HD channels TWC didn't carry.) Both are set up for only 1080i YPBPr outputs. S-video in rarely used any more.

There are exceptions. One cable firm, TWC, duplicated all its analog channels for digital (64/256 QAM) delivery a few years ago. RCN hasn't done that yet. So RCN's lower analog channels appear slightly worse (noisier) than TWC's digitally delivered ones. It's a fairly complicated switching back and forth involving a few hundred channels per STB and several ways of viewing them.

While the 8300HD stretches/zooms upconverted 480i to avoid gray side pillars on my 16:9 display, it makes people's heads too large or distorted horizontally, so I only use zoom for programs with both top/bottom black bars (OAR movies) and side panels, which looks fine. -- John

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing!
SD PQ takes dive after switching to HD Set Top Box?
It's best to ignore the "urban myth" that an S-Video connection to your fixed-pixel HD panel is preferred for SD material instead of component. For CATV, a properly configured set-top-box and TV will always produce superior results ’as better connection interfaces’ are used: RF --> Composite --> S-Video --> Component --> RGB --> FireWire --> DVI/HDMI --> CableCARD. It’s best to follow the instructions as specified in the owner’s manual for your ’ Motorola DCT5100’ and the proper setup procedures from your cable provider to pass 480i/480p/720p/1080i to your Olevia LT32HVE

The DCT5100 is adaptable to various software platforms. It supports existing entertainment, analog, on-demand, and digital broadcast interactive services. The DCT5100 provides high definition video output.

"To install the DCT5100:

For a component video or HDTV, use the component video outputs to connect to the DCT5100."

CNET.com:

"S-Video - Common video connection that provides better picture than composite by transmitting the luminance and chrominance portions of a video signal separately.

component video - The elements that make up a video signal, consisting of luminance and two separate chrominance signals, expressed either as Y R-Y B-Y or Y Pb Pr.

luminance - Portion of a television transmission that controls brightness of the red, green, and blue proportions in a television picture. The standard luminance setting in a picture is 30 percent red, 60 percent green, and 10 percent blue. These numbers are adjusted to produce varying colors, grays, whites, and blacks.

chrominance - Technical name for the TV signal that carries the color information (red, green, and blue) needed to produce a color picture; often called chroma.

comb filter - Component in all televisions that separates the chrominance and luminance from one another in composite-video connections. Good comb filtering enhances fine detail, cleans up image outlines, and eliminates most extraneous colors. Comb filters do not affect S-Video, component-video or digital-video connections.

composite video - Analog video signal that includes vertical and horizontal synchronizing information. Since both luminance and chrominance signals are encoded together, only a single connection wire or jack is needed."

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The danged "tech" did not leave me with manual, nor set up my remote and he tried to leave me with an RF connection to the box ONLY!

Suffice it to say, that I did not know that I could adjust the box. Thanks for the links to the manual. I have now adjusted the box for 16:9, 1080i and turned 4:3 compensation to OFF. That last adjustment improved the SD quality. I am now back to watching SD on components inputs.

Thanks agin. /bing

p.s. Using the search code function, the olevia gets volume, tv/vcr and on/off control from the comcast controller, all on just the 10th or 11th try. yeeeeehaaaaa!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.