AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between HDTV and EDTV.

I ran across this .pdf for the new dish HD PVR receiver.

http://64.220.11.101/SatelliteGuysDish921.pdf

On the first page it says:

"HD Connectivity: DVI-HDTV/DISH DVI (DVI-I/RGB) and HD component video outputs – both HD and SD content can be viewed on an HDTV using the HD video connections (SD content is up-converted)."

What does "SD content is up-converted" mean? Does it mean that this receiver can convert 480i signal to 1080i? If so, would a 480i signal on an EDTV look better or a 480i signal that is converted to a 1080i signal on an HDTV?

I hope I'm not asking a silly Q. I have not researched the receiver issue yet, and don't know if other receivers say the same thing. I didn't know what to make of this statement in the dish .pdf. It seems to me that line doubling is relatively trivial after the 3:2 conversion. But converting 480p to 1080i requires some interpolation, and I was not sure if such interpolation would lead to a better signal when viewed on an HD.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes the unit can convert from 480i to 1080i, so that no matter what the input, your output on the component line will be 1080i if that is your chosen output resolution.

You won't gain any quality by upconverting, simply because the receiver cannot create extra detail out of thin air. So in that sense, I'd expect the 480i signal, (both upconverted and not) to look slightly better on the EDTV than on the HDTV. The HDTV is capable of showing more detail, and will therefore show more blemishes in a poor picture.

As for the conversion methods, I'm pretty sure that nothing too fancy goes on... Basically just simple scaling is all...

·
Registered
438 Posts
most of the directv hd irds will upconvert sd to either 720p or 1080i. Not really a new feature.

Reviews of this functionality are all over the map, although I seem to see some poeple mentioning that conecting the box over dvi and having it output something close to the particular display's native rate brings a noticable bit of help to some really poor sd pq otherwise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I would tend to think connecting the HD output to the EDTV might result in a worse picture than connecting the SD output to the EDTV. I would think that the latter approach would just perform line doubling after the 3:2 decomposition.

OTOH, in the former approach, this line doubling would be performed by the receiver and then the EDTV down converts the HD signal to a 480p signal. I would think that that downconversion might result in the loss of some detail, as the display's logic would not know anything about the receiver's logic.

Mr Pink, are those reviews on this forum? If not, where can I find them?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You're right. Output the SD via composite or S-video to your composite or S-video in on your Plasma. This leaves only the Plasma to convert to 480p (480i to 480p) rather than 480i to 1080i to 480p. On my Hughes box, the SD through the component outputs (480i to 1080i to 480p) looks like total crap. I use the composite out on my STB for watching SD.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tnaks acribb.

I was planning on connecting it that way as well.

I'm planning on purchasing the denon 3803, and if I do, I will also try outputting the S video to the a/v receiver, and feeding component to the plasma. I'll report the results if/when I do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.