AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to find any information on the effect of having a DSS modified to SDI output, could someone enlighten me to the benefits.

LJG

·
Registered
739 Posts
LJG,

HI, from what i've been told, the SDI on DSS will only help on non HD material. my understanding is that it will take the analog signal and make it look more like HD, so thats were the benefits are to SDI. close to DVD picture quality on regular tv.

hope this helps

carlos

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The closer:

Thanks for the reply, I watch a lot of sports on DSS and am disturbed by the lousy compressed image so if in fact the SDI output improves the image to DVD quality I would be happily surprised.

Perhaps someone from Imersive technologies could comment further since they do the SDI upgrade to the DSS?

Lon

·
Registered
396 Posts
LJG,

I do not think SDI is going to eliminate the compression artifacts from DSS. The compression blocks are from the source and from DirecTV/Dish's own compression prior to sending you this signal. If anyhting, SDI is going to make the blocking artifacts from the MPEG compression even more apparent since they will be part of a crystal sharp image.

Can others confirm this?

- Larry

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lrowland
LJG,

I do not think SDI is going to eliminate the compression artifacts from DSS. The compression blocks are from the source and from DirecTV/Dish's own compression prior to sending you this signal. If anyhting, SDI is going to make the blocking artifacts from the MPEG compression even more apparent since they will be part of a crystal sharp image.

Can others confirm this?

- Larry
I can't confirm from experience, but theory suggests that adding SDI to DSS is going to be putting lipstick on a pig. The MPEG artifacts are already painfully obvious from the analog outputs. Given the excellent quality of high definition from channels 199 and 509 through the analog outputs, this suggests that the analog outputs are NOT the limiting factor in determining PQ.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi,

I disagree, i have knowlegde of a guy doing this very same thing . he added SDI to a DTC 100 and he says that the picture quality is near HD signal on analog.

Now i am no expert and i have yet to see it with my own to eyes , but he claims its awsome.

This guy is not a retailer ,just a techy in search of a better picture for his personal gradification.

so if it works as he claims it does its not putting perfume on a pig , in fact its having him for dinner.

thanks

carlos

·
Registered
739 Posts
Another note,

I believe Tom Strade is doing it on some direct tv models or is working on it.

carlos

·
Registered
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert2413
I can't confirm from experience, but theory suggests that adding SDI to DSS is going to be putting lipstick on a pig. The MPEG artifacts are already painfully obvious from the analog outputs. Given the excellent quality of high definition from channels 199 and 509 through the analog outputs, this suggests that the analog outputs are NOT the limiting factor in determining PQ.
Hello there. I quite agree with you. However, the all-digital SDI way makes you sure the scaler receives
  • a slightly better image
  • a cleaner source (no analog video noise) to work on, find combing, apply filters and such..

But still I agree with you and find the (today's) price for such an upgrade quite uninteresting.

Quite OT, but a nice addition to a (preferably high end) dvb receiver can be a Cinematrix/PSM1 mod. Right out of the box, the receiver could produce a 1600x1200 progressive scan image without the need of a scaler. I find the idea appealing ;)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
in the year since the Secrets review? Has Clearmatrix code gotten better? You'd think they would least let themselves use what they allowed Rock+ to use, not that I know how good/bad that is.

How recent of a unit did you see sspears?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Clearmatrix is the ROCK, which is different from the Cinematrix PSM-1, which is a Gensis chip. (Two different companies.)

I saw it, the PSM-1, again at Cedia and the demo they use to show basic 3-2 pulldown also points out that it still does not have motion-adaptive deinterlacing.

While we are on the subject of the ROCK or ROCK+, it looked great at Cedia. It does have motion-adaptive deinterlacing and it handled bad edits very well.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did not realize that psm1 used genesis. Your work has made me aware of that chip and I would not have asked the question.

Hey you know, matrix this matrix that, an illiterate newbie gets confused!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"Is this legal?"

Perfectly. You can do anything you want to to your own equipment, so long as it does not break conditional access (which an SDI output doesn't). You used to be able to do anything you wanted to to your own equipment, period, but that changed with the DMCA.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
My question, (that i would not pose in the "SDI modifiable units" thread, is.. TEh exprexxview 6000 HD box.. does it have the requisite taps fpr SDI modification? dies anyone know.? And, if it does, is it generationally cary over to the msot recent units, and/ or encompass the older 6000 units, or are they all internally the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does this bypass the Macrovision copywrite protection on DVD players?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Dave,

An honor indeed to meet you here in this forum. We're all very happy that you are showing interest in developing fine products for the Home Theater market (an educated guess).

One thing we must consider here, before worrying about taking a regulatory stand with respect to Macrovision, is that this added signal can seriously perturb the ouput of CRT projectors among others. Members here are often striving for the ultimate in image performance within their respective budgets, and while a manufacturer may have to maintain a strict position regarding Macrovision, the home theater enthusiast will deploy treasures of ingenuity to remove it - not to violate any copy protections, but just to get a clean picture up on the screen.

Any technology incorporating said measure, for reasons of image pollution, will have to be by some means defeatable or the product will be shuned, at least in the high-end.

I'll let others here fill you in on the specifics of the relationship of Macrovision to SDI output on DVD players. I just thought it useful to specify what may have prompted a negative attitude about it among forum purists.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"Does this bypass the Macrovision copywrite protection on DVD players?"

Not when you're talking about DSS. ;)

I think "bypass" is now a discrete legal term, so this probably isn't the optimal place to discuss it. Talk to counsel.

That said, there are several DVD manufacturers out there (Electrograph, etc.) who apparently have talked to their lawyers and have come to the conclusion that it is inapplicable in this situation. This agrees with a lay-man's understanding of how it works as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I guess what we are asking is if its posible to add a SDI output to a DSS reciever direct tv etc. and get a better analog picture .

some say yes other opinions say no , guess question is has anyone tried it and how does it look?

comments welcome

thanks

carlos

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.